ikethearmyguy

Connect laptop to smart tv

Forgive me in advance because I'm a little technologically challenged. I have a Toshiba laptop (L500-02H) that I want to hook up to my Toshiba smart tv (55L7200U) but I don't want to do the wireless connection between them. Can someone suggest a cord that I can buy that will enable this?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Connect laptop to smart tv

[ Edited ]

Satellite L500-02H (PSLS0C-02H012)

3D TV 55L7200U

I have attached the spec for your computer and your TV User's Guide.

For the video, it appears that you can use a normal 15-pin RGB cable to connect from the RGB output port on the computer to the "PC In" connection on the TV.

port.JPG

For the sound, use a 3.5 mm stereo audio cable from the headphone port on the computer to the similar port on the TV.

Those connections are shown on p. 40 of the TV Guide attached.

-Jerry
ikethearmyguy

Keeping in mind I'm not tech savy can I assume that if I have a 3d movie on my computer it can be viewed in 3d on my tv?

ikethearmyguy

Also, will I see HD movies in HD on the tv?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

So far as I know, that RGB connection cannot handle 3D, but does provide high definition.

[Edited because I was wrong about the HD.]

-Jerry
ikethearmyguy

Crap. Perhaps I'll take a few pics tonight of my laptop and back of the tv and see if that might help you suggest what I need?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Crap. Perhaps I'll take a few pics tonight of my laptop and back of the tv and see if that might help you suggest what I need?

I already told you what you need. And the documents I attached to my original reply tells everything we need to know. There's nothing more for me to say.

I don't know why you're unhappy.

-Jerry
ikethearmyguy

Please don't get me wrong because I really do appreciate your help. I'm not unhappy but I am a bit disappointed that the RGB cable won't allow me to watch 3D or HD.

I was thinking that pics might help you identify how I can get the most from my new smart tv.

:smileyhappy:

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! Does your lap top and your TV have a HDMI?? Here's a excellent video. I'm not sure about 3D. From every thing I've read HDMI is the best way to connect your PC and TV. I could be very wrong about that. You can Google and check it out!

Dokie!!

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/dave-taylor-hdmi-article.html

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
ikethearmyguy

The laptop doesn't have an HDMI port but the tv does. I'm not concerned about not getting the 3D picture but it's the HD quality I want to get. Apparently, the RGB cable won't permit this.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi It seems you only have one choice and Jerry has explained that very well. Live with the RGB or buy a newer lap top.:smileywink:

Dokie!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So far as I know, the analog signal that you get using RGB (aka VGA) does provide a high definition image.

Connecting Your Computer To T.V. Using VGA Cable

-Jerry
ikethearmyguy

Okay so I picked up the RGB or VGA cable and I'm getting an HD picture but no sound. I tried plugging the little yellow patch cord from the headphone jack on the pc into the audio port next to the pc in line (VGA cable). Still no sound.

I'm getting closer lol

ikethearmyguy

Oh yeah I also tried putting an .mkv file on a memory stick but when I try to play it on the tv it tells me "file not supported". Any ideas?