ajmeier

Computer won't turn on or off

Hi! I have a Toshiba Satellite A665D and yesterday i put it to sleep (Fn+F3) then when i came back an hour and a half later the screen was blank, the power button and lights were still on and it wouldn't respond to anything. When i tried holding down the power button to turn off the power it wouldn't respond to that and I had to take the battery out to kill it. Then when i tried to turn it back on the same thing happened. It would work for a 1/2 second, the power lights would turn on then it would do nothing... blank screen and stop responding to anything. I had the tech guy at the gym i work at look at it and he said the hard drive and memory was fine but was stumped as to the problem. Anyone on here have any ideas???

Super Advisor
brad

Re: Computer won't turn on or off

How long did you hold down the power button?

I have a Qosmio here that's occasionally locking up after being left overnight (I guess something is finally having problems after almost two years of >80% CPU/GPU use)

When I press and hold the power button, it sometimes takes almost a count of 20 for the machine to totally shut off. 

ajmeier

Yeah we held the button down for a really long time... no dice. The only way to get it off was to unplug it and pull out the battery

danjamin

[ Edited ]

interesting... ok, does it give you enough time, when switching it on, immediatly press F8... constantly (non stop) untill you get the menu up, then procede to try to repair the computer, it may ask you to restore, just click ok and follow any instructons, DO NOT interupt or cancel it however long it is taking, unless the comp just shuts down,

If this does not work, try presing F8 again but try starting in ''safe mode''

If it wont even boot to this point, then is it overheating? is everything connected properly? check all connections. sometimes constant rebooting can stop a computer from working, so what you need to do is disconnect the battery for about 20-30 mins, so nothing has any power.

then put the battery back in and connect the power supply. one of these solutions should work, if not, message back.

I will add, i hope you are not always putting it to sleep everynight? computers need to be shut down, and remain off. problems can occur by always putting it to sleep/hibernate

EdBradley

[ Edited ]

I've been living with this problem since I bought my Satellite A665 back in mid-2010.

If I shutdown while on AC power, the laptop always fails to start (the white power light comes on, but then goes dark after maybe 10 - 15 seconds). If I remove AC power and cycle the battery out & back in, then it starts fine. Lastly, if I restore AC power before turning the power on, even after cycling the battery, the computer will not start. It MUST be on battery power only.

Occasionally, if I pull AC power before shutting down, the computer will start fine; other times no. This seems to be somewhat random (i.e. does not matter how long I leave it unplugged prior to shutting down).

I live overseas and bought the laptop during a trip back home. Now, due to return / repair / warranty policies; I'm forced to live with it. The situation has been constant for nearly 2 years now (i.e. performance has not degraded over time). I called Toshiba Tech Support who had me repeat the factory installation, but no luck. They'd never heard of this problem. But seeing a few kindred souls out there, but now there's a fix to be found.

danjamin

ok, after working with computers for so long, i can only see your problem as one soultion, there is a fault between the motherboard and the power supply, it will happen while, as you say, having both the power cable and battery plugged in, its usually a fault between the battery and power cable the results in motherboard failure on boot up.

Unfortunatly the main solution is to replace the motherboard. (maybe it got wet/damp at some point?) you could try a new AC adaptor/battery but i think you would have tried this.

We have many laptops come in with a power/motherboard faliure, and the only way of booting is by battery only. i cant understand how Toshiba dont have this solution, but i suppose it usually being a ''self inflicted'' problem they dont usually say about it, as any kind of damage to the motherboard is not under waranty.

but yes, i really do think its a - official wording (dont ask why its this there is nothing official its just what we all use in the tech industry and how the manufacturer sees it) ''Battery failure when connected to power cable resulting in motherboard boot failure due to damage''