Norak

Computer shuts down during startup

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

it shames me a little to ask for help about computers because I am usually ok with doing this stuff myself.

This time, however, I cannot seem to fix the problem indefinitely.I need a laptop for school and cannot afford another so any help would be greatly appreciated!:

I will just point the facts out:

After a few years use (two) it now shuts down during (windows) startup.

I ended up cleaning the Heatsink/fan yet the problem persisted.

The model is a Toshiba Satellite A200-PSAF6A.

I am no longer under warranty.

The school techs cannot help me.

A few oddities that I noticed:
It starts up fine when the power plug isn't plugged in.

It starts up fine with the power plugged in only in safe mode.

Using CCleaner and Defraggler temporarily fixed my problem (for about 5 minutes or so).

I hope that you guys can help me. It's just annoying that I cannot fix this myself..

If any further information is required please just ask and I will reply with as much haste as I can under my current circumstances.

Thanks,

Norak.

kaisum

Re: Computer shuts down during startup

Do you see a blue screen of any kind or does it just go black and boot infinitely?

Norak

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I will explain that in more detail:
It will work beyond the point of the BIOS, up to the windows starting up point (just the loading bit, not as far as the log on screen) at which point the computer will immediately shut down. The screen is an empty black, not black pixels, and the "plugged in", "power" and "battery charging" lights at the base of the laptop all simultaneously turn off.

Then the "Plugged in", "Battery charging" and the "power" light all come on (in that order, where when the power light comes back on so does the computer, only to repeat the fiasco).

As I said, it will boot fine in normal mode without the power, and will boot fine with the power in safe mode.

I find it very odd...

[EDIT] Sorry, yes. The second option "Black and boot infinity".

Thanks,

Norak.

Norak

I guess I am not the only one having trouble understanding this problem.

Is it uncommon and unfamiliar?

Norak

[ Edited ]

Still no reply?

My graphics assignment is due tomorrow and I have nothing to do it on...

The only other option for me is to *illegally* download the software I need to do it with, which I am NOT going to do!

Please people!

I am sure under my current circumstances I can get an extension, but that will only last a day or two.

Anyone that can help me please reply.

[EDIT]UPDATE!:
I have just found out that where before it would shut down starting up normally with the power in, now it ALSO does it whilst in safe mode..

It used to be able to start up WITH the cable in whilst in safe mode. This is bad and is getting worse.

D=

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

Try to re format your laptop. Use the recovery disc. It could be a software issue.

Occasional Contributor
nitikasnv

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The format can be a option for you but first you try to restore your laptop for previous check point and if the same problem arises then go for the format option.

Thanks

MRH
MRH

I just experienced this same issue but my computer would make it to the splash screen and begin to load the screen icons...then would re-boot (shut down) and begin again...kept happening. I pulled the battery(possible bad battery) mine is 5 yrs old...and I restarted in safe mode to do a system recovery to a week ago. Not sure which event fixed the problem but my problem seems to have gone away.

Regular Contributor
17incher

This happens to me also with my 10 months old Satellite P305. The laptop would start up then immediately shuts down like when someone pulled the plug (and no this is NOT an overheat issue because it is a cold start from a unit that has been 'OFF' all day). It powers fine again the second time and brings me to a black screen with options to either log in 'Safe Mode' or 'Start Windows Normally'. This doesn't happen all the time but it is very frustrating because you just don't know when it'll come back the next time you boot up the thing. Also, very seldomly it'll shut down on me too. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Windows7 64bit or the BIOS; which I am using the latest (from V. 3.90 to V4.20).

Great computer but I think I'll sell it and buy a different brand until I get the right one.

Dell XPS 17 | corei7 andy Bridge | 8G DDR3 | 1TB x7200 | BD-RE | 1080P
Linton

I have a couple of years old A200 satellite and have the same problem.

During a "cold start" I may get up to the windows login screen and then it shuts down and restarts. (sometimes it doesn't make it to the windows screen and turns off to restart). Then it will start to load windows and the little bar at the bottom will be loading windows and then freeze. I would have to hold the power button down to turn off and restart. Then I start windows normally and it usually works OK, sometimes I have to do this step again, but eventually I get into windows. Then if I shut down and restart it starts up fine, unless I wait for it to cool down.

Since this started happening, I have reinstalled vista 32bit to out of the box condition and updated to the latest bios, to no avail.

Computer has always run hot since new, seems to have very poor cooling. But the fan operates, most of the time on full boar.

Do you think this is a software issue or a component issue, or cold joint.

BTW it will not shutdown at all if I keep the computer in the F12 key settings area,im not sure what this place is called, but you choose to boot from cd here.

Regular Contributor
17incher

[ Edited ]

Linton wrote:

I have a couple of years old A200 satellite and have the same problem.

During a "cold start" I may get up to the windows login screen and then it shuts down and restarts. (sometimes it doesn't make it to the windows screen and turns off to restart). Then it will start to load windows and the little bar at the bottom will be loading windows and then freeze. I would have to hold the power button down to turn off and restart. Then I start windows normally and it usually works OK, sometimes I have to do this step again, but eventually I get into windows. Then if I shut down and restart it starts up fine, unless I wait for it to cool down.

Since this started happening, I have reinstalled vista 32bit to out of the box condition and updated to the latest bios, to no avail.

Computer has always run hot since new, seems to have very poor cooling. But the fan operates, most of the time on full boar.

Do you think this is a software issue or a component issue, or cold joint.

BTW it will not shutdown at all if I keep the computer in the F12 key settings area,im not sure what this place is called, but you choose to boot from cd here.

Okay, this is weird and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with what I had mentioned earlier. I was having some issues with my DVD drive, it was rattling bad and the spin off time was off causing coasters on almost every blank DVD, so I had the thing sent in for a replacement. They put in a new DVD drive, checked the status of my BIOS (V 4.2 which I had all along) and returned the unit back to me sometime around April 22, 2010 -- ever since the thing was working fine. I'm not sure if the bad drive had caused the unit to work erratically.

Before it was sent in, the issue was of course with the DVD drive, the startup then shutdown problems, plus a whole plethora of other small problems which I didn't bother to mention on my first post. For instance; the illumination lights that controls the media -- sometimes they would not turn off when I shut my computer down. The light stays on even after the computer powers off and I'd have to unplug the AC power cord for the lights to completely shut off.

My initial problems with the laptop was:

Media lights won't go off,

DVD drive rattles very loudly and burns bad media,

Shutdowns during startups,

The screen housing would creak every time when I wanted to adjust the position (this happens when I adjust it slowly).

After they replaced the DVD drive, everything seems to work fine. It's been almost two months now and I haven't had issues with any of the above mentioned problems.

Dell XPS 17 | corei7 andy Bridge | 8G DDR3 | 1TB x7200 | BD-RE | 1080P
Kp3096

I've been given a number of Tosh Satellies to repair with exactly these symptoms and every time it's turned out to be the CD/DVD drive. It's only one screw to remove it so an easy test to eliminate.
Occasional Contributor
DeeDraper

Hi Norak,

My toshiba A300 laptop has the same problems.

Shuts down when cold on start up, but not in safe mode or on battery power only.

I have removed the DVD but problem still persists.

Did you never discover what the problem was?

thanks Dee

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! I don't mean to sound like a grouch, but these threads get started and every one that posts; say they have the same problem, which is probably not true. There are steps that you take to narrow your problem down. The first step is to eliminate soft ware. This is done by saving your data and restoring back to factory. If your are able to boot windows, you can start with a chkdsk. Then a sfc /scannow. A HD test with seatools for windows would be good. A memory test would also be a good thing to do. You can do this with memtest86. Some models have a feature that will test memory. A scan for malware would also be a good idea. You can do that with Malwarebytes. All these programs are free. Try some of these and then post back and give me some results.:smileywink: Stop saying you have the same problem and be original.

Dokie!!

PS I could go on all night here, but will stop with. Make sure your drivers are up to date. Make sure your have all the Windows up dates. Make sure your vents are clean and your PC is not over heating. Give us a chance and someone here can help if you stop posting on another OP's message and saying that you have the same exact problem.:smileymad:

Dokie!!

PS I'm really a old softy and I love helping others with PC problems.

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Occasional Contributor
DeeDraper

Thanks Dockie,

Yes, my Satellite A300 PSAG4A-02M00M has been well loved and cared for also.

I have spent hours trying to determine the problem and also even took it to a computer repair place recently, whom were unable to find the problem and suggested it may be a hairline crack in the motherboard.

However I am not convinced as she works fine after a couple of restarts from cold, and the problem never happens on battery power or in safe mode.

I have already done most of your suggested and will get back to you with the results when completed the rest of your suggestions.

Thanks for your assistance. Kind Regards, Dee. 

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi sense the problem never happens in safe mode, try a clean boot to see if you can find your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Occasional Contributor
DeeDraper

Hii Dockie,

Have done clean boot including untick all microsoft services. Problem still there.

Also have done recovery disc to factory settings, sfc scannow, mallwarebytes, seatools (all tests execept advanced), memory test (computer tech tried more RAM).

Computer tech said he checked drivers but I have downloaded SlimDriver updates and says 25 dirvers out of date.

Tried to update Radeon HD3650 ( which was 1st on the list - although I have alredy previously gone into the 'mytoshiba site and tried to download the update for this with a response that I already had the latest driver installed) and computer gave back screen after entering password. Then frooze on next 2 reboots.

Then I restore to a point prior to this and now back to how it was.

I hope this makes sense to you - if not I am happy to clarity what I mean.

Would it be helpful if I let you know the error messages I get in the event viewer when the problem occurs?

KInd Regards

Dee

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi Dee! The event viewer might be helpful to Jerry. I use Slim Drivers also. I don't think the forum aproves of 3rd party Apps to check for up date drivers.:smileywink: 25 up dates sounds a bit much to me. It is my understanding that after you have restored back to factory settings; and still have the same problem, it's a hardware problem. If that is true then we have to find out if it's the HD, RAM, Mother Board, Power suppy,Whats left?? Have you the done a memtest86? I really don't have a lot of suggestions left. Maybe Jerry will have some suggestions. You might try just one RAM stick in slot number one and see what happens. Then try the other sticks in slot number one. If you haven't run memtest 86, it's a great program. I just ran it and my RAM tested good. Don't tell anyone, but this is what Slim Drivers tells me.:smileywink:

Dokie!!

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Dee! I don't know what others think about this. I never let my PC go into sleep or hibernation. I have heard both cons and pros about that. You could give that a try for awhile and see what happens. If I'm not going to use for a long time, I just shut it down by closing the lid.

Dokie!!

Occasional Contributor
DeeDraper

Hi Dockie,

I am having problems with memtest. I have tried 1st on CD then on USD.

Downloaded Windows Images Version 4.3.2 - then extracted all to the same USB 

Click on unzipped application

Step1-         Selected  G:\ (the same USB)

2. Write to UFD

3. G:\memtest86-usb.img\memtest-usb.img

4. Wrtie to UFD

I get a message - The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume into drive G:

Cheers

Dee