LadyBee

Clicking in External Hard Drive - Canvio Basics 3.0 750GB

Earlier this year I bought a Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 750 gb hard drive to use for back up of my desktop computer.  In the last couple of days I have heard intermittent loud clicking from it.  It doesn't happen all the time though.  My computer still recognizes it and I can access data from it but the clicking worries me.  It has spent its life pretty much just sitting on the top of my computer waiting to be plugged in.  It's not the grinding sound I heard when my internal hard drive failed.  I just realized that it clicks when I  have my garmin gps plugged into one of the usb ports.  It is reproducible and clicks whether I am accessing the data on it or not if the gps is plugged in.  Any ideas why this happens?

Part number is hdtb107xk3aa  I am running windows 7.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Re: Clicking in External Hard Drive - Canvio Basics 3.0 750GB

Hi ! I'm the night duty advisior! There are many reasons a HD goes bad. I won't bore you with all that! Do you safely remove the external drive when your done using it?? I guess it's plugged in when you hear the clicking noise:smileyvery-happy:. I leave mine plugged in all the time, but if I want to move my lap top, I safely remove my external HD. Having said all that, you can use this program to check your external HD. It's freeware. Clicking is never a good sign, as you have learned when you internal HD died.

Sense your HD is just clicking, this my not detect any problems??? If this clicking just started, I would certainly be concerned:smileywink: That's the best I can do!

http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-ma...

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
LadyBee

Re: Clicking in External Hard Drive - Canvio Basics 3.0 750GB

[ Edited ]

I've always safely ejected it and not just unplugged it.  Not sure what was going on as it hasn't done it since I posted.  LOL  I tried using different USB ports and also with something other than the gps unit plugged in.  Not sure what was going on but for now not sure I trust it for backup anymore.  :smileysad: