tooly
Accepted Solution

Cd disc came out inside my A505 laptop; how to get it out

Seems like there should be a simple way without voiding warranty.  Any help?

Just got the darn thing yesterday.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Cd disc came out inside my A505 laptop; how to get it out

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A505/removing-optical-drive-1.htm shows how to remove the dvd drive.  That's probably the only way to get the disk out that I can think of.

As for voiding your warranty that would depend on how careful you are taking it aprt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

tooly

refer model: A505-S6980

Thank you ce64.  The posted step by step instructions are for dismantling this machine if anyone needs to ever do that.

If this happens to anyone else, you apparently have to take apart the whole laptop to remove optical drive in this model [see instructions provided previous post]. 

Definitely an authorized repair center problem for the faint of heart.

Next question is this however.  Where can a disc disappear to in this optical drive?  I mean, isn't the drive 'enclosed'?  Can the lost disc slip up inside the machine?  Strange, I can still use the drive as normal, read, write etc.  This is very puzzling as I didn't know a disc could just disappear.  Again thanks for the help. 

bsimrell

You do NOT need to disassemble the laptop.  I recently had the same problem with a client's A505 Toshiba.  Here's what I did about it:  Remove the small bezel strip between the keyboard and the speakers/power bezel, remove the four screws holding the keyboard in place, fold the keyboard back onto the palm rest, being careful not to disconnect the keyboard cable.   Now look into the opening on top of the optical drive case to the right.  You will see the inside edge of your CD.  Slide it toward the side of the case.  Now turn on your laptop, open the drive door, and continue to ease the CD out.  It may catch on the right side of the tray opening, but you can work it out of there.  Now close the drive.  Turn off the laptop.  Secure the keyboard and replace the bezel strip.  Be sure CDs are seated firmly in the tray in future.  Toshiba needs to address this defect, So calls to tech support are encouraged.  See Steps 1 through 4 of the disassembly instructions in the following link, noting in step 4 the exposed optical drive where you can see your stuck CD.  http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A505/removing-optical-drive-1.htm

wa3pxx

Thanks for solution. It saved me taking it in to be serviced.

Thanks!

Ozcan

Re: Cd disc came out inside my AWAY laptop; how to get it out

I used Gravity to take it out :smileyhappy:

I turned my laptop to this small hole downwards and helped CD with an small unfolded paper clip worked for me :smileyhappy:

esckey

Re: Cd disc came out inside my AWAY laptop; how to get it out

Same thing here... gravity did all the work.  The disks get stuck between the little metal bar just above the cabin opening.  I used a jewelers screwdriver, inserted it flat between the metal band and the top of the cabin opening, gave it a little turn to enlarge the space (all while holding the laptop over my head) and the cd fell out.

esckey

Really no need to disassemble anything... see next post and reply.

grimalkin22

Just wanted to say, I used a thin knife to give a little room at the top of the band as the other poster said.  Had the CD out in less than 30 seconds.  So glad I couldn't find a screwdriver that would work. 

6muirdrive

There is a much simpler solution.

1. Take battery out of computer

2. Right above your Power button there is a long plastic sleeve. It is about 1/2 inch thick by 10 inches.

3. Using a screwdriver, pop it  out.

4. You will notice 2 small screws that anchor keyboard, so remove them.

5. This alone will give you enough wiggle room to see your DVD or CD that you lost.

6. Push your CD or DVD out, usually above your optical drive metal casing.

7. Put it back together and like magic, problem solved.

8. Put your battery back in.