dhwert
Accepted Solution

Cannot log in to Windows; will not accept password

I have a Toshiba L655-s5069 that is 9 months old.  After using the computer last night, I put it to sleep as usual.  This morning I woke it up and tried to log in, but when I entered the 5th character of the password, it immediately gave me the "wrong password" dialog.  It then showed our password hint below the password box.  There was also a "Reset Password" link, which I clicked.  This brought up an error dialog box that said something to the effect of "The computer is looking for a drive that is not connected", but this didn't make sense since nothing was missing.

I am starting to wonder whether this might be a malware issue of some sort.

After scouring the discussion boards, I am not sure whether the password I am having trouble with is a BIOS password or a Windows password.  I have found some good advice on fixing the BIOS password issue, but not so much on the Windows password problem.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Dave

(Sorry if this post shows up multiple times; I've tried to post it twice previously, but it didn't seem to show up.)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Cannot log in to Windows; will not accept password

Satellite L655-S5069 

I am not sure whether the password I am having trouble with is a BIOS password or a Windows password. 

Dave, the Windows password is entered on a blue screen in Windows 7. Otherwise, it's not the Windows password.

I can tell you how to reset the Windows password. For the BIOS password, you should go to a Toshiba tech.

-Jerry
dhwert

It sounds like it's probably a Windows password issue, then.  If you have a solution, I'd be happy to hear it.  Thanks.

Dave

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Reset the Windows password this way.

Forgot your Windows admin password?

-Jerry
Regular Contributor
nameless

If it's telling you that a drive is not connected, could be that there's a bad sector on the Hard drive too.

Reset BIOS to default then try resetting administrator password.

dhwert

I'm afraid I have to apologize for a mistaken cry for help.  It turns out the reason that the computer would not accept my password was because of something gone haywire with the keyboard.  When I typed that 5th character, an "x", the computer read the keystroke as a carriage return.  (I discovered this by typing an "x" at various places in bogus passwords, and each time, the login dialog immediately said the password was incorrect.

I used the on-screen keyboard option to type in the actual password, and it worked just fine!

So, one problem averted, another one discovered.  I will start another thread to inquire about "keyboards gone bad".  (Luckily, I have a USB keyboard that does work, so I can type this out without using the on-screen keyboard.)

Thanks for your suggestions.  If I ever need to reset a password, I know what to do!

Dave

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Glad you figured it out, Dave.

-Jerry
timepeaces

Well:

I used to like Toshiba, did point people to Toshiba as their first computer for years.

No longer, since Toshiba computers can only be booted from the internal hard drive.

A virus corrupted the internal hard drive or my client.

I was able to reformat the drive on a diff computer.

Cannot reinstall the system at all. The dvd/cd drive will not boot.

An external flash drive will not boot.

A usb dvd drive will not boot.

A external 3.5 floppy frive will not boot.

I've found that the system will only boot from the internal hard drive.

Well there is no system on that drive.

I had to reformat the drive to get rid of the virus.

Ok I'm not a noob.

I can put a linux a linux system on the drive, by connecting it to a usb port.

Then after the system is running, I can add vmware for linux, then install a windows system.

I have lost 2 days work and will not charge the customer for something I cannot deliver.

I will not work on another Toshiba with the same type of problems.

If you gave me a Toshiba I would dismantle it and send it to China for scrap.

Seriously I would take a sludge hammer to any laptop I had to do that to to get it running again,

after paying $500. or so, the $500. is reference to when the computer was bought new several years ago.

This is the first time I have ever in 20 years of working on computers encountered one so poorly designed.

The Toshiba website says buy the recovery disk for $30. Why when they won't boot from the DVD.

There is no way to recover the system.

I went to Office Depot to look at the current model of Toshiba. They did not even have on on display.

I would have made them stick a working linux boot disk in the dvd drive, just to see if the prob still exist.

I will never recommend another Toshiba Laptop, to anyone.

Peter

timepeaces, Toshiba laptops do boot from USB and DVD. If yours can't, it sounds like there's a problem and it might require servicing. However, that doesn't mean that no Toshiba laptop is capable of it. They can do so.

- Peter