Realana

Cannot find my storage space on Satellite L305-S5920

I purchased my pc w/ 140GB of memory.  Now I only have 45GB of memory leftover.  I have nothing stored on my pc.  A few pictures & a few songs.  Where can all my storage space be from my hard drive?  Does anyone have an answer for this missing memmory.  Thanks for any help here.  Signed, Real 

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Cannot find my storage space on Satellite L305-S5920

Check out the Detailed Specs for this computer. Toshiba didn't just put on the operating system but a pile of both Toshiba and other software with the computer. So with your L305 you also got Adobe Acrobat, Google Picassa, Microsoft Office trial edition and Norton 360 Security. There was a bunch of other software too.  These added programs helped to subsidize your purchase since the publishers paid Toshiba for the right to put their software on your computer. But all that software takes up space on your hard drive. Go to Control Panel and click on the Programs and Features icon. It will fill up with a list of all of the programs that you can remove from the operating system. Click on the programs you want to delete and hit the Remove button at the bottom of the window. This should free up some space on your hard drive.

Realana

Hi Gord,

I did like you mentioned and was able to get some GB back.  One thing I remember doing last year when I was doing a backup on my PC.  For some reason the backup process did not complete properly for some reason.  That is when I noticed that a lot of my hard drive was missing.  Is there some way where I can find where the backup is and how I can find if the backup is taking up the hard drive space.  Thanks again for your last reply & I look forward to your reply.  Thanks, Real

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L305-S5920

A utility like TreeSize will show you what uses the hard-disk space.

In addition, Windows Vista creates shadow storage. It consists mostly of restore points that are saved for use by System Restore. By default, it's set to eventually use up to 15% of your hard drive. You can control the maximum shadow storage in use. I have mine set to 10 GB.

Vssadmin command

-Jerry
Realana

You can control the maximum shadow storage in use?  How do I do this?  Can you please let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

Real

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You can control the maximum shadow storage in use?  How do I do this? 

That's why I sent you the link.

Vssadmin command

vssadmin List ShadowStorage gives the amount in use   

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage resets the maximum

-Jerry
Realana

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the link.  I did not know that was a link. 

I will try it.

Thanks again.

Real

Realana

Hi Jerry,

I did go to the link, but I do not know what to do with it.

It did not give me a download or anything like that.

What am I supposed to do with it?

Thanks,

Real

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Vssadmin is a console command. You should run it at an elevated command prompt.

Please take the time to read carefully about these commands. You can mess things up if you don't know what you're doing. I suggest that you use only the two commands I mentioned.

Vssadmin list shadowstorage

Vssadmin resize shadowstorage

-Jerry