Occasional Contributor
frwnd

Cannot access Toshiba HWSetup

When I tried to access Toshiba HWSetup in XP's Control Panel, I got the following error message:

Common Module terminated!

I have not the foggest idea what does that mean. Is there any way to get around it? Thanks for your time to read this post.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Cannot access Toshiba HWSetup

Which computer? There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
frwnd

Sorry I forgot to mention. It's To**bleep**a Satellite M45-S265. The reason I tried to access To**bleep**a HWSetup is the power button doesn't work properly. It's function has been replaced by the internet button. In other words, I have to use the internet button to turn the laptop on/off. The power button's only function is to show whether the laptop is on (lit) or off (not lit). Actually I'm not sure whether I can solve this problem through Toshiba HWSetup.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite M45-S265

Try reinstalling these two utilities in this order.

Toshiba Common Modules for Windows XP

Toshiba Utilities for Windows XP

You can choose what the power button does in Power Saver.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
frwnd

Thanks for the instructions.

Do I have to download these programs? I checked the Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD coming with the laptop but could not find them. The only close hits are two folders called Toshiba Common Modules 2 and Toshiba Utilities 2, where sit two executable files, B229900.exe and Setup.exe, respectively.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Do I have to download these programs?

Yes, download and then execute each of those programs in turn.

The first one reinstalls the Common Modules and the second one reinstalls the HWSetup utility (which enables you to change settings in the BIOS).

-Jerry