rward5

Can I run chkdsk/f from blue screen?

I turn on my computer and goes to a blue screen and restarts. So I go to the advanced options and make it stop restarting. The blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x83341CA0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I'm stuck, lost, confused, and saddened........

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Can I run chkdsk/f from blue screen?

Which computer? Which Windows?

-Jerry
rward5

oops...

Toshiba Satellite M45-S2653

Windows XP

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite M45-S2653 

***STOP: 0x00000024

There's a fair chance of recovering from this situation if you're technically proficient and willing to jump through some hoops.

Otherwise, it's best to restore the hard drive to its original factory-new contents using Toshiba's recovery disc.

The first option requires that you have either a Windows XP installation CD (any one will do) or a floppy drive for that machine. In the specs, Toshiba suggests the PA3109U-1FDD floppy kit.

Do you want to give it a try?

-Jerry
rward5

Thanks for your help. I do want to at least try. I've never used a floppy before but it is cheaper. Which one would you suggest?