clamatojane
Accepted Solution

CD/DVD Drive not recognizing discs

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6051 LED TruBrite 16-Inch Laptop and it came with Win7 64 bit already installed.  Recently I tried installing a cheap game I bought and there was an error and it never ended up installed.  But since then my disc drive no longer works.  I put a disc in I hear it do the whirring thing but then nothing happens.  I go to Start, Computer and I see the DvD drive there but when I double click it gives me a "please insert a disc" message.  If I right click and click on install/run media or open I get a "Not Authorized" message.  I've done the Fixit Program it couldn't fix it. I've gone into the regedit and it doesn't even show upper or lower filters. I've tried 2 dif restore points.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled.  I've updated drivers says it's already up to date.  I don't know what else to do short of trying to reformat but the OS discs for Win7 didn't come with the laptop and I do not have the money to rebuy them.  If anyone can help me fix this I would greatly appreciate it!

Occasional Contributor
karlsnooks

Re: CD/DVD Drive not recognizing discs

Jane, Have you tried restoring to a System Restore Point from before the problem happened? Believe it or not, you do have system restore points. Win 7 is very smart and even creates them without any action o your part. Here is how to choose/use a system restore point: RESTORE TO A PREVIOUS SYSTEM RESTORE POINT 1) WIN | type SYSTEM RESTORE | ENTER | NEXT | Choose a different restore point radio button | NEXT 2) Show more restore points checkbox (lower left) 3) Highlight the desired restore point 4) Scan for affected programs (lower right) make a note of affected programs 5) CLOSE | NEXT | FINISH WIN = key with the wavy Microsoft flag on top.
clamatojane

Karl,

Yes I have tried 2 dif restore points.  One a few days before the incident and one a month before neither worked.  I also tried to use the Recovery Media Center to make recovery discs so that I could go ahead try reformatting but seeing as my drive wont' recognize discs it wouldn't do it.  I heard there was a way to call Toshiba and get replacement OS discs but I have no idea what number to call.

Occasional Contributor
karlsnooks

Jane, This forum software is a real pain to use. Very lacking. I'd post a couple of my boiler-plate responses, but such is simply too inconvenient here. If you don't get a satisfactory answer from a regular here, then post in www.sevenforums.com where I and other handle such problems as yours. karl
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I heard there was a way to call Toshiba and get replacement OS discs but I have no idea what number to call.

You can do it online.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

my drive wont' recognize discs

If the optical disc drive doesn't work, they wouldn't be much help.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
karlsnooks

Jane, https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp?orderType=SFF https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2753749&pf=true If your dvd/cd drive is not functional, then go to any repair shop, go to Fry's, almost anywhere. Swapping out a dvd drive is very easy for anyone who has ever done such. You don't need an official Toshiba part (I've replaced one on a Toshiba before with a very generic dvd unit.) karl
clamatojane

Thank you guys for all the help.  I think I'll just take the laptop in and have a repair guy look at it and see what they can do.  I really appreciate you guys taking the time out to help me out with this issue.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You might want to use one who knows your computer.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry
Jamielyn

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655D-s5151,  windows 7 and when I put a disk in wither blank disk, dvd, or a CD nothing happens, I dont know anything about computers so I don't even know how to search for what is wrong with my computer, someone told me its not reconizing my drive and to reinstall it. I hope i am giving enough information. If someone can please help me! The last time I used it was about 5months ago and I burned all my pictures on my computer to a blank disk, and I went to try to put that disk in with the pictures on it and nothing happens so I tried other disks. nothing

bigly63

I have the same issue.  To take it a step further, I was unable to get drive to work, so I purchased an external drive/burner.  That too stopped working.  Orginally, I had installed a Hama Web cam which I think was the conflict.  It's been over a year with the same problem.  The external drive works on another lap top, but still not the one in question, a Satellite L655.  Whiskey tango foxtrot?