mudbone

Built-in webcam spontaneously stopped working

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop. it came with a built-in webcam and an application to take pictures and video with it. every time I open the application, I get an error that says: "Web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer." I can't use Skype videochat.

naturally I've tried restarting my computer. I can't find the camera in the device manager. I tried installing the latest drivers from Toshiba's website. I used to system restore to go back to all possible restore points. nothing has fixed my webcam so far. can anyone suggest anything else that might help?
gnzl

Re: Built-in webcam spontaneously stopped working

I have the same problem here, Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7305. Webcam Application says "Webcam failed to initialize".

More info:

- Messenger and Skype doesn't detect any webcam.

- On Windows Device Manager there is no Imagin Devices, the webcam is not on that list.

- Tried restarting, and restoring to the first restore point but none of those actions resolves the issue.

- Tried restarting, disabling webcam on BIOS, restarting again and enabling webcam on BIOS.

- On Device Manager the option "Scan for hardware changes" does not find the webcam.

- On Device Manager the option "Add legacy hardware" doesn't show any toshiba webcam (selecting from the list under the Imaging Devices category). If I click on "I have a disk..." I just don't know where to find the actual drivers.

- The Webcam Application downloaded from the Toshiba support doesn't install, I have to unzip the exe file in a folder, and then run setup.exe but twinstall won't work.

How can I solve this issue?

What is the exact brand and model of the webcam?

Don't you have a driver download for this device (not the webcam application but the windows driver's INF files)?

If you need more information please contact me.

Thank You

gnzl

Hi, I'm just posting an update on this topic.

As someone suggested on the forum, moving back and forth the laptop lid while having Device Manager open can be helpful to check if the webcan suddenly appears and disappears. That means the problem is hardware-related on some connection between the webcam and the motherboard.

I cound check that is the problem I'm having with my laptop.

mudbone

I just tried moving the laptop lid back and forth with device manager open. No luck.

I also tried:

- Uninstalling and re-installing the camera software

- Clicking "Scan for hardware changes" in the device manager

- Disabling and re-enabling the webcam in BIOS

Still nothing.

mudbone

still looking for a fix...

Peter

mudbone, what notebook do you have?

Because you've already tried so much, what's left seems to be getting it serviced or attempting a complete recovery.

- Peter
mudbone

I've got a Satellite L675-7048

Peter

You could try a recovery. Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found in your user's guide. To load the recovery utility, hold '0' (zero) while booting.

- Peter
ni
ni

I'm having the same issue. I have Toshiba Satellite L675-S7052 buil in webcam laptop. When I try to install I get the following msg: There is no webcam installed. And, when I tried Tools under MSN, I get: The application has failed because side by side configuration is incorrect. I have Windows 7 Home Edition that came with the laptop.

I can't find any CD that came with the laptop. I tried downloading from this site and that did nothing. I need to have this fixed. It was working just fine before. When I turned on my computer the webcam would flash but that's not happening either.

Peter

ni,

If it was working previously, try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

- Peter
ni
ni

Didn't work with System Restore either, Peter. I guess this is a known issue;others have the same problem.

Webcam is not working on MSN Live messenger and Facebook. Facebook wants me to install Flash. MSN gives me an error

msg: The application has failed because side by side configuration is incorrect.

Any other suggestions?

Peter

Does it appear in Device Manager at all? If it doesn't, keep Device Manager open and slowly close the computer. Does it ever begin to detect it?

- Peter
ni
ni

No, it doesn't appear... as if I don't have a webcam.  I tried your suggestion closing it slowly and nothing. On facebook I tried the webcam link and it says to install flash. I did and that ddin't fix the problem, either.   Out of the blue, it stopped working.

Peter

It sounds like it could be a hardware failure. You can do a recovery to be sure if you'd like. It'll either fix it or prove that it's a hardware failure. Unfortunately, that would also wipe all your data from the computer.

You can contact customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
meganholmes11

I'm having the same problem. Have you figured out how to get the webcam working yet?

azusa4al

Peter; if I use the zero while rebooting will there then be step by step instructions on what to do is there any thing I will need besides stroking a key board key, thanks in advance for your help mine also only worked for about 2 weeks out of the box then stopped didn't care before but with so many video chats I would like to use again and like everyone else i have tried everyhting as mentioned  

Occasional Contributor
xresx

Its likely a faulty LCD cable, wich on this model also has the Camera cable attached. Will likey need serivce to replace the cable if its not detected in Device manager under "imaging devices"