page2

Built-in Webcam not Recognized by Laptop

My built-in webcam on my Satellite A305-S6905 is not recognized by my laptop!!! 

I click on Camera Assitant Software to boot up the cam and get no where. 

The error message reads: Webcam is either disabled or failed. Please check your webcam settings.

I have no clue where the webcam settings might be. I have downloaded the driver 2x from the Toshiba recommended downloads: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility for Windows Vista (32/64bit) / XP(v8.7.0.1007; 04-13-201... I get a message that the download was successful. Then, I check the list of devices in the Device Manager. The Chicony USB 2.0 Camera software is nowhere to be found. I cannot select it to Update the software. I have restarted my computer 2x. No help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?   My daughter is leaving for Hong Kong and Vietman and I would like to track her journey using Skype. Thanks, NC

page2
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Built-in Webcam not Recognized by Laptop

Satellite A305-S6905 

I check the list of devices in the Device Manager. The Chicony USB 2.0 Camera software is nowhere to be found. I cannot select it to Update the software.

Try installing from this file. Forget Device Manager for now.

Camera Utility for Windows XP / Vista (32/64bit)

-Jerry
page2

Thank you for the help Jerry, but I already tried that download. After downloading, I recved the following message: “The setup has detected that version (1.07..) of Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba is already installed. This setup installs an earlier version of Cam Asst. Soft for Toshba. You will need to uninstall the previous version (17.193.0508L) before installing this version.”

I have not tried to find the earlier Cam Asst Soft for Toshba version to uninstall yet. Should I find the earlier version, uninstall and download this earlier version?

page2
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have not tried to find the earlier Cam Asst Soft for Toshba version to uninstall yet. Should I find the earlier version, uninstall and download this earlier version?

Sure. Look for it in Control Panel > Programs and Features.

The Chicony USB 2.0 Camera software is nowhere to be found.

Do you have the item Imaging devices in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)?

-Jerry
page2

No, Jerry. The only items in the imaging device are Xeroox Workcentre ProScanner and Xerox Workcentre Proscanner#2.  Thanks for the help.

Nn

page2
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What about uninstalling the application in Programs and Features?

-Jerry
page2

Jerry,

I went into Programs and Features. The only 2 possible programs are: 1)Camera Assitant Software for Toshiba, but I hesitate to uninstall the program b/c my xerox Workcentre Proscanner is in that program, and 2) Support Sort Assisted Service, which I don't think has to do with Camera Assistant Software.

Any other suggestions?

page2
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I hesitate to uninstall the program

Any other suggestions?

No.

-Jerry