sgol
Accepted Solution

Brand New Satellite L775 system clock runs too fast!

I just received my new Satellite L775-S7220, plugged it in, fully charged the battery and noticed that the system clock will not keep time. It is running anywhere from 4 min to 4 hrs too fast at any given time. I've adjusted the internet sync settings, tried to sync with each of the the various server options, to no avail. The clock will sync but then will eventually run too fast. I've also set the sync to automatic instead of manual, still of no help. This happens both when on battery and ac. Please help!!  

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Brand New Satellite L775 system clock runs too fast!

I am unaware of any software that will speed up or slow down the clock. Provided that you have the computer set for the correct Time Zone, there should be no reason adjust the clock once you set it. Most dealers will allow you to exchange a computer within the first weeks since the computer was purchased. If that's the case, I would get the computer replaced. If the computer is beyond two weeks old, you'll need to call the Call Center (800) 457-7777 and see about getting the computer repaired.

samsonscooby

I'm having the same issue. My new satellite L775D is running too fast. The clock gains 14 minutes for every hour of real time. Setting the clock was one of the very first things I did when I opened the box. It has never kept the correct time. I have reset the clock several times and checked the settings. It's not jumping time zones, it is just ticking too fast. Frustrating!!!

bkberger

[ Edited ]

Second out of the box L775 had same weird time issues.     Synch with time.windows.com showed wrong time even though clock was already 9 minutes fast.    Resetting Time Server from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov did not make any difference and the clock is now 3 minutes fast after being powered off for 8 hours.  Pity for this is an amazing system.

Granfather

I'm haveing the same problem. In checking the web it seens there may be a conection to ASUS mother board or the evo if that ncan help ID the root problem. while mine is not running super fast it dose seem like speed will jump

vicm08

Any updates on this. I have this laptop and i love it. The time isseu is killing me. Is it bios or we need to return it. MIne is only 3 days old

bkberger

This morning I set the clock BACK in time and then did a tap to time server.  Shutdown and reboot shows the time seems to be consistent some 3 hours later.   The system will move time forward and correct, now to see if it will NOT advance time.   I will test for the next few days and post findings.

Regular Advisor
eniac

There was a problem like that with Norton a long time ago. As I recall the fix was to update it.

I don't know if this is the same problem but I'd just as soon uninstall it altogether and install

Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

System clock loses time when using Norton AntiVirus 2000

bkberger

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the information on Norton being a possible cause.  The error is the system GAINS time.    I found the time advanced 5 minutes in 6 hours and it was shut off and unplugged.   I have performed factory restore and this is destined for return next week. 

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

go to the settings of the date and time, then look for then go to internet time tab, then go to change settings...

uncheck the synchronize with the internet time server...then set your correct time and restart to check if it will still change.

hope this helps...

vicm08

I love this laptop, i upgrade to 8GB and put an Intel X25G2 SSD drive. So is the only solution to the clock issue is just return it. It seems people are going that route. I hears some exchange it to have the same problem on the other new unit.

Regular Advisor
eniac

I saw something similar years ago. I don't remember exactly if the clock was fast or slow but the problem was Norton. The description reads: "It appears to happen at random, and it can be either slow or fast." It might be worth a shot to update NAV again or uninstall it and use a different AV program altogether. As I recall I updated NAV (again) and the problem was resolved.

vicm08

The first thing i did when i turn on the laptop was uninstall Norton. I am using regular microsoft security essesntials. I am still having the issue.

Regular Advisor
eniac

I can't swear to it but I think it's either a setting or a software issue.

Granted it shouldn't have a problem right out of the box. I would

continue to explore other options and try to resolve it myself before

sending it in.

Granfather

when i turned off the eco utlity i notice time ran much faster then when it was turned on. there may be a prob with the eco utlity

Regular Advisor
eniac

When you uninstalled NAV did you use their uninstaller?

Granfather

My nortons is installed. even the bios clock is fast with power turned off : unpluged and no battery

Regular Advisor
eniac

[ Edited ]

As far as I know there are two clocks. A system clock and a real time clock.

The system clock - clocks data through the ALU (CPU). The RTC provides the

time of day.

You might want to reset the BIOS to the default settings. I wouldn't be

concerned if there's a discrepancy between the RTC and the time

displayed on the BIOS screen. As long as the machine is stable and the

RTC is accurate that's all that counts.

If the RTC is running fast or slow and your using Norton - updating it

(a couple of times) may correct the problem. As I recall that's what

I did (years ago) and the problem was resolved. I'd just as soon

uninstall it and use MSE or AVG anyway.

Granfather

System time and RT seem to be going fast. I said before it may be tied to eco utility aswell when that was turned off time really seemed to fly(pardon the pun) my bios is version 1.3 eco 1.2 I've read on other site it may have something to do with bios or eco utility aswell but I'm not sure what kind of motherboard this laptop use's or where to get the newest bios update

Regular Advisor
eniac

[ Edited ]

Some people have had problems booting their systems as well as other problems after

updating the BIOS so it's not the first thing I would reach for. Aside from that I also

didn't see a BIOS update available for the L775D-S7220.

Did you try running it in safe mode for a while?