danji061

Blank screen on start up

I have a Satellite A105-S4211. When I push the start button the hard drive light comes on for a second and then goes off. The screen is blank but it sounds like the cooling fan is running. This computer is 2 years old. Should I just junk it instead of it driving me crazy! It worked fine until a month ago. The battery light and the power light are on fine. Sometimes it will come on and just lock up on the Toshiba start screen. At other times it will start and get to the main page and freeze. At other times it will work fine. What gives with this thing? Thanks.
Occasional Contributor
BruceWayne

Re: Blank screen on start up

try to unplug the power cord and the battery

then try to press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds...

plug the adapter and the battery back in and try to turn it on...

if it wont work, tried to boot to safe mode by pressing the f8 key on the toshiba screen... if it booted up the hardware is okay...

let me know what happens next...

Hope this helps...

danji061

Thanks for the reply, I tried what you said with no results. A blank screen comes on and the hard drive light goes out. Battery and plug light on.
Occasional Advisor
kensei

hi danji061!

if you have the same issue after you did batman's steps, restart the computer & keep hitting f12 once you see the toshiba logo & this will give you the boot menu & if you are able to go up to that point, load the recovery as this is the last option of fixing your computer to load defaults before sending it for repairs or junking it out. hope this helps!! Ü

danji061

I tried all day yesterday to start this thing and finally gave up. This morning I turned it on and it came on like nothing was ever wrong.Maybe I will keep this as a backup, anyway if I get another laptop what processor is better, the Pentium duo or the Centrino duo? Thanks Kensei for your help.
DeathMagnetic

I am having a very similar problem with an older Satellite.  I am actually attempting to run the recovery disks.  Once I get through the prompts and it gets to the "Formatting" line, the system locks up at various points, so far the furthest it has gone is to 7% formatted.  I'm ready to punt this thing and replace it with a Mac.  I've made about 4 attempts...  Any Suggestions?
Occasional Advisor
moroji

One possibility for lockups in general is bad RAM.  If you've added memory beyond minimum operating requirements, try again after removing the added memory.

-=: moroji :=-