Broin

Black screen then restarts

Hi all,

I have a Satellite A505-S6980.

When I turn the laptop on, everything seems fine at the beginning. The “Toshiba: Leading Innovation” messages appears, then the Windows logo appears and starts to load. However, after the Windows logo, the screen simply goes black. The only thing I can see is the arrow from the mouse (which I can move). It seems as though windows never fully loads. After a few minutes of just this black screen, the computer restarts itself automatically. And it just continues with this cycle.

I tried to do a startup repair. I received the message, “A hard disk problem is preventing Windows from starting.”

Was wondering if I could get any help regarding this issue?

Thanks,

Brian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Black screen then restarts

Satellite A505-S6980 

I tried to do a startup repair. I received the message, “A hard disk problem is preventing Windows from starting.”

It does sound like a hard disk problem off hand, Brian.

It appears you already know how to reach the Windows Recovery Environment. Open a Command Prompt there and run this. It may run for a very long time and appear to hang - be patient.

chkdsk c: /r

-Jerry
Broin

Hey Jerry,

First of all, thanks for the quick response. Following your instructions, I ran the command prompt. As you said, it was taking a while so it was something I checked periodically throughout the day. I went back to check on it late last night and I noticed that the laptop was off. I figured maybe the battery died or the laptop shut itself off at the end of the scan. I tried to turn it back on and nothing happened. I tried attaching the power cord and that did nothing. I tried removing the battery, holding the power button, and putting the battery back in. But still, no luck. It's like there is no power going to it at all.

Didn't know if you had any suggestions as to what may have caused this?

Thanks again,

Brian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Time to take it to a hospital.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry