Occasional Contributor
dglasgow
Accepted Solution

Black screen of death/Satellite P755-S5215

I have a manufactured refurbished laptop. The first time I powered it on after taking it out of the box, it booted to the Toshiba logo and then went to a blue/grey screen with the blinking cursor in the left corner. I tried all the suggestions short of removing the hard drive because it does have a 90 day warranty and I didn't want to lose that. The reason why I'm searching for fixes on my own is because I ordered it online through the Toshiba store on ebay from the U.S. and had it shipped to a friend in the U.S. and he brought it down to me here in Belize. It will be risky and costly to ship it back for repairs and I've not been able to get it registered. I get an error when I put in the part number and serial number... not sure why this is but Toshiba will not process a repair order without it being registered. Anyway, I thought I would try again to see if anyone else has any ideas. Below is a list of the things I've tried so far. By the way, F8 does not work at all, it will not bring up that screen so I can't start up in safe mode. It will boot up with a repair disc or an installation disc. It states that there is a start up issue but can't repair it. It will not allow a windows installation on any of the partitions, says, "windows can't install on this partition". After attempting several things, it gives the error message, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and kit a key"... and yes, I've checked the boot order and the HDD boot option is listed first. The tech at Toshiba just said that it should come in for repair after I tried his suggestion of holding down the zero key and hitting the power button... that's when I got the error message. By the way, there was never any beeping when I held down zero or any other key (if that matters).

Darlene
Serving Christ in Belize!
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Re: Black screen of death/Satellite P755-S5215

I no longer get the screen with the cursor on boot up. I now get a screen that says:

Windows boot manager

windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

insert your windows installation disc and restart computer

choose your language, and the click next

click repair your computer

file: \boot\BCD

Info: an error occurred while attempting to rad teh boot configuration data

If I hti ESC on start up then I get a boot screen before it goes to the screen mentioned above that gives system info as it does in any normal boot and some of the info on that page says:

6144M System RAM  passed

256 KB L2 Cache

System BIOS shadowed

SATA PORT0: TOSHIBA MKG476GSX

SATA PORT2: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F

Press F2 Enter Setup. Press F12 for boot menu

then the screen disappears and goes to the windows boot manager screen

Darlene
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P755-S5215

Info: an error occurred while attempting to rad teh boot configuration data 

If you didn't burn a repair disc, download one from here. Scroll down to Windows 7 System Repair Disc 64-bit.

Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Use it to boot to the Windows Recovery Environment.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

At that command prompt, enter this and tell us what you get back.

bootrec /RebuildBcd

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Jerry, I had already created a repair disk so I did as you said and it says:

total identified windows installations: 2 and gives me the option to add them to boot list

Darlene
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I would add them both and then try a normal boot.

Did you have a multiboot system?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Ok, I'll try that. I assume "multiboot" means that it gives different options to boot? Mine list 4 options now, I think.

Darlene
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I assume "multiboot" means that it gives different options to boot? Mine list 4 options now, I think.

I mean: do you have more than one Windows installed with a menu during boot?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Thank you so much!!! I'm not setting up Windows 7 on the laptop. However, it did come to say the Windows was not genuine but I'm going to type in the key that is on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop and hope it accepts. It was supposed to have a genuine windows 7 since this was refurbished by Toshiba. Thanks again.

Darlene
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

It did show 2 windows because I had tried to install a copy that I already had to fix this issue but it would not complete the process and boot up. I chose the original one that came loaded.

Darlene
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm going to type in the key that is on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop and hope it accepts.

It should not need a product key. All of the OEM preinstalled Windows have been preactivated.

I had tried to install a copy that I already had to fix this issue

Aha. That will be the version that boots by default.

In any case, that key on the bottom will not work with a retail version.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Yes, I know it should not have required a key and I'm a bit frustrated. I bought the laptop form the Toshiba store on ebay as a manf. refurbished Laptop and in the description it even says comes with genuine Windows 7 Home Premium so I don't understand this issue. I can't make contact with the seller on ebay until Tuesday because they are closed until then.

Darlene
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

The version that I tried to install was Windows 7 Ultimate but it came with Windows 7 Home Premium. After adding them to the boot list, I chose to boot with Home Premium... so it should have already been activated, correct?

Darlene
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If it's been refurbished by Toshiba, my understanding is that there would be a B suffix on the part number.

PSAY1U-011006B

I suppose it would be on the label and here in Windows..

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > PC Diagnostic Tool

I chose to boot with Home Premium... so it should have already been activated, correct?

Correct.

When do you get the message? Exactly what is it?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

When I restart the laptop, it comes up on the boot manager and ask me to choose which Windows to boot with and says press F8 to choose advanced options. What do I need to choose to make it automactically boot with windows home premium? Also, do I need to do something to delete the other windows 7 ultimate?

Darlene
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Yes, it has a B suffix... PSAY1U-011006B

Darlene
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can't see you. Please explain everything.

Does the original Windows start?

Can you use it?

When do you get that message about non-genuine?

What is the message?

And so forth..

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

the message is

choose an operating system to start:

Windows 7 home premium

windows 7 ultimate

to specify an advanced option for this choice, press F8

Darlene
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Please answer my questions.

Mainly, does Windows start? Can you use it?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Ok, sorry, let me try to backup. After choosing to add the copies of windows to the boot list. I removed the repair disk and rebooted. It went straight to the windows boot manager and I chose the first option, windows home premium. Windows started and it said: seting up your computer for first time use. I chose the options to set up windows 7, language, named the computer, local time, etc and then it came up with a box that said your copy of windows may not be genuine... get genuine now. I chose that and chose to type in my own key but it did not accept the key from the label on the laptop.

Darlene
Occasional Contributor
dglasgow

Jerry. I apologize... this is the first time I've used this forum so I know I'm confusing you.

Yes, windows starts just fine and I can use it. I've not had a chance to check out all features or browsing but windows seems fine other than not being activated.

I restarted the laptop but it comes up to the boot manager so I need to know what I need to do to get it to boot directly to windows 7 home premium.

Darlene