Occasional Contributor
abnjim6

Backup using Toshiba backup utility

Can someone instruct about how-to use and backup this system software in this Toshiba laptop?  Another backup program?  I get a lot of messages using this system backup software asking for technical information that I am not familiar with: I only desire to do a SIMPLE backup!  Please help?

Am using an external drive (WD).  This older laptop (A75) has Windows Xp Home Edition.

Thanks

James

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Backup using Toshiba backup utility

Regular Advisor
eniac

I turned off messages about Windows backup.

I keep important files backed up on thumbdrives and cdrw's.

Every once in a while I update the backup by copying and

pasting files that have changed.

The main thing is to have a copy or two of your personal files

stored on something other than the HD and have the OS or

recovery discs and application software available in case

something happens to your machine. That way if you have to

use a different machine or change the HD you'll be able to

reinstall the software and won't loose all your files.

Occasional Contributor
abnjim6

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.  Am grateful.

As instructed, I downloaded the Windows Xp on-board backup utility, but I entered the incorrect backup target information and the program would not allow a change; therefore, I abandoned attempts to use this backup utility for backup.  Rats!!  

Now let me ask if there is a SIMPLE backup program available that is NOT complicated?  I SIMPLY desire to backup this Toshiba laptop as it is a clean install.  I have both Seagate and Western digital external hard drives.  Is there a SIMPLE backup piece of software that can be used with both external drives?  Free?

BTW.  This Toshiba laptop model is:  A75 S2112

Thank you.

James

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A75-S2112 

James, I just ran across what looks to be a great free backup program here. I haven't yet tried it myself, but it gets good reviews.

EaseUS Todo Backup Free

I recommend that you back up your entire drive as an image. (We do that for every computer every single day.)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
abnjim6

Thank you Jerry!

I downloaded the program and it went well.  But where do I find the backup option "drive as an image."  Is there another term for this selection?  

Man, I sure have a lot of trouble with using backup programs:smileysad:

Thanks again.

James

Occasional Contributor
abnjim6

Jerry,

In the program that you suggested I selected the external (WD) drive (destination) name it was given (Z:smileyhappy: and it was not accepted.  Am at my wits end with this project now gone array.  Can you or someone instruct about how to use this program? Application: EaseUS

Can't even copy to DVD !!

Thank you.

James

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry, James, as I said before I have never used that program. I recommended it only because it's had good reviews and is free.

You'll just need to read the instructions and work it out yourself. Life is sometimes like that.

-Jerry