GR19
Accepted Solution

A660-18N Problems

Hi all,

Looking for a little bit of help/advice if possible.

I've had my A660-18N for a little while now and it was proving to be a good laptop.

Recently, things have started running extremely slowly, from off to being able to use the laptop can take 5 minutes or more where as it used to be super quick, I've disabled alot of the startup applications and it seemed to speed up a little, I try to keep all the bigger files and documents on external hdd to keep the memory on the computer free etc and frequently do scans and clean ups to make sure everything runs smoothly.

The laptop gets extremely hot, often just in ordinary use, particularly youtube videos and alike, even running a cooling mat, temperatures are often hitting 70-75C

Now, this morning the laptop has a high pitched ringing noise from the time the computer is turned on, the only way to stop it is to mute the speakers. You can hear sound / videos etc through the speakers as normal, but the ringing is consistantly over the top of any other audio and increases or decreases with the volume control.

I've been trying to avoid having to totally start again and use my recovery disks as it's going to take a while and I've got alot of other programs that I could do without having to start again on, but beginning to running out of ideas so any help or advice welcome!

Many thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: A660-18N Problems

Satellite A660-18N (PSAW3E-07W00TEN)

It seems to me likely your hard disk is failing. Things would be slow because it must read and write repeatedly to be successful.

The best way to tell is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
GR19

Thanks Jerry for your quick reply!

Using the Toshiba Recovery Media link on my laptop, would that then mean I would need to re install all of the programs etc on my laptop and would I also require my recovery disks? - that seem to allude me at present!

Many Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

would that then mean I would need to re install all of the programs etc on my laptop..?

I would create an image backup of the hard drive while testing. You could restore it to a new drive if necessary.

Learn more about system image backup

Recovering your files in Windows 7

Restore your computer from a system image backup

..also require my recovery disks?

You can restore from an image on the hard drive. See the section System Recovery Options and Restoring the preinstalled software, which begins on p. 1-12 of the User's Manual (attached).

-Jerry
GR19

Many thanks for your reply and information Jerry, much appreciated, thanks!