nbfanc

A505-s6030 overheating problems

I don't seem to be the only one with overheating problems with the i7-Q720 processor, but no one else has mentioned it with this particular model. According to Realtemp, the unit idles (6.2% CPU usuage) at about 73C, dangerously too hot. And of course it thermally shuts down about once a day.

But to me the reason is obvious. The case is built so that half of the fan input area is blocked. I can't see any sensible reason for this (and I teach courses in heat transfer) and assume it is either a design of construction flaw. 

Any comments? Can any one figure out why half the fan inlet is intentionally blocked?

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Re: A505-s6030 overheating problems

If you are sure it is not a dust build up issue with the vents, contact toshiba about the overheating issue. (800) 457-7777

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
nbfanc

I blew out the heat exchanger with compressed air and it indeed made quite a difference. The idle temperature dropped about 10 degrees, but 60C is stilol way to hot for idle. Right now I am testing it with a small (30%) load and it hits 80C.

As for contacting Toshiba, they have already had it once for repair. I think they just cleaned the heat exchanger because it was better for a while. And then of course they reformatted the hard drive, their way of telling you to go away and not come back.

docgreen

I've been having the same problem.  Right now with the rear or my laptop elevated and only a browser running, I'm at about 60°C.  I started elevating the rear after having it overheat playing Call of Duty.  It does help, but still doesn't eliminate the problem.  What can be done about this?  I don't want to waste my time with Toshiba if they're not going to actually fix the problem.  Can the cooling fan / heatsink be upgraded??  I've been building desktops for years, but I've never opened a laptop so I don't know jack about 'em.

Justinecredible

I have an A500 model and it's doing the same thing. YES I'VE CLEANED THE FAN & Heat Exchange...so Don't bother wasting a post just to try to be a smartie-pants.

I called Toshiba once, they said to remove the battery and elevate the machine...so I did this. I pulled the battery and put the entire machine on a wire cooling rack (yeah the kind for baking) and have even resorted to keeping icepacks under the unit...TO NO AVAIL...it still gets incredibly hot to the touch and shuts off randomly!

I'm getting really upset here. I paid really good money for this machine expecting it to work with some basic commonsence...but it's simply become more of a hastle than it's been worth!

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Justinecredible,

What telephone number did you dial for Toshiba when you were instructed to remove the battery and elevate the laptop?  If you have a case number from that call, please send me that info in a Private Message.  (Click here to send me a Private Message.)

The bottom line is, you should be able to use your laptop for normal work without going to those types of extraordinary measures to prevent it from overheating.

I recommend calling support back and letting them know that the suggested solution did not work, and let them take the troubleshooting process to the next step.

Jim

walkintall

i have a a505-s6033 with i7 processor, and i have the same overheating problem. help!

tenny

My A505-6033 is overheating also. So bad that I can not use it for the intended use. What stinks is that because of the nature of what it is used for I can not send it in for repair. Even on a laptop cooler it still overheats.I had been buying dells but decided to give toshiba atry cause the last one i had actually worked and was impossible to kill. Needless tosay i will not be buying another toshiba after my experiance with this one. Toshiba how about coming up with a real solution for the overheating issues with the I7's. Heck right now if someone offered to trade an I5 for my I7 i would do it straight up.

Glass_eye_bob

I'm having the same overheating problem on my Satellite A505-S6030.  I can only get about 10 minutes of play time on Counter Strike b4 it crashes.  It's been sent in to the repair depot.  Will see what happens.

mph716

I have had an A500 series with i7 processor for 15 months and it began to shut down a few weeks ago after never having had any problem of any type. I contacted Toshiba Tech Support and they were courteous but not very forthcoming and invited me to send my laptop into their depot. Fortunately the depot has been having problems of its own lately and the overnite package did not arrive. In the meantime, I searched this forum,and found that overheating is likely the problem. I asked a technically knowledgeable friend of mine and he directed me to BestBuy or Staples to buy a 2-3 fan laptop cooler. I came up with a Targus Chill Hub XC and the system is running as cool as a cucumber with no more shutdowns no matter how many programs and processes I am running. I also applied some canned air to the system and was advised to do this as part of my weekly maintenance routine.

Bottom line: maintain your investment with a laptop cooler and regular high pressure cleaning.

barny

I have the exact same issue with the 6033, it runs gets hot and pow it shuts down, I loaded core temp so I could get some advance warning, that tells me it runs around 80 deg C when doing next to nothing and climbs from that point to shutdown pretty quickly. I dont use it for games, its used for crunching data and email.

Never had a lap top that was so unreliable due to heat

Come on Toshiba, explain this lemon

renatoms