Pakmangetem

A305-S6872 Web Cam Wont turn on

i just replaced my hard drive. did a clean install of w7. everything, and all the drivers work, exept the built in camera. i even downloaded the latest utility from the website, but it only installs the application, not the driver. i don't even see an imaging device on the device manager. when i manually try to add a imaging device, then i can't anywhere on the computer find a driver for the webcam to install it. if any one knows how to fix this problem, plz help.thank you. 

p.s. i even checked the regestry. and there is no regestry for the camera at all.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: A305-S6872 Web Cam Wont turn on

You say you did a clean install of 'everything' for Win7.  Then you say after that, you downloaded the latest camera utility from the website, which would seem to imply that you did NOT download all the latest drivers, patches and utilities from the Toshiba website, after you updated your Windows 7 installation.

So, if you haven't run all the latest Win7 stuff from the Toshiba site for your computer, then try running these two patch programs first:

Toshiba Registry Patch for Devices and Printers:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/patch_device_printer_registry_TC00231900B....

Toshiba Patch Files for Windows 7:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/patch_storage_TC00233600A.exe

Then try to run the latest Chicony driver/utility again:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/driver_camera_chicony_TC50040800A.exe

Let us know what happens. Good luck!

Mike

Pakmangetem

nope...same problem. it says camera is disabled or somrhing......and i went back to deivce manager...and still do not see any imaging device. any more ideas?? 

cjd
cjd

Thank you so much Mike.

Turns out it's going back to Toshiba under warranty to be fixed.

I appreciate all your help on this.

Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Ummm, well you're welcome cjd. But, I'm not sure why you are answering for Pakmangetem.  Unless of course you're both one in the same person with two user names.

Regardless, you should always make sure to completely back up your data before sending your machine in for servicing.

As well, I note from your products specs that the A305-S6872 came with Windows Vista Home Premium edition. But, you mentioned you are using Win7.  You should be prepared to receive it back from the Toshiba Service Center with Windows Vista Home Premium reinstalled on your laptop.  Under warranty, I doubt they'll agree to install Windows 7 on your unit, let alone guarantee that it will work.

In that case, before you put your data back, do a Windows 7 in place upgrade, not a clean install.  Apparently, this is the best way to make sure everthing works:

How to upgrade to Windows 7

I hope you get it all taken care of in a timely fashion.

Mike

cjd
cjd

Mike I am so sorry - I clicked on my link and this is the thread it took me too.

Many apolgies over this.

megab5150

I have the same problem with my a305-s6872 toshiba satellite web camera it worked forever then just stopped working but didn't really notice since i stopped using it on a regular basis.

The opening the lid to a halfway standstill is pretty much the only solution i have found that works, it is now 2012 and toshiba has had no input on this problem!!!!!!!!!!  Buying a $20 external web cam is not a problem the problem is, this is an issue with the wiring and there has been no solution provided to thousands of paying customers by toshiba nor has it been addressed or an "attempt of toshiba providing a solution".

DEAR TOSHIBA THIS MAKES ME NEVER WANT TO BUY A TOSHIBA LAPTOP EVER AGAIN!

But why do you care, your just a multi million dollar corporation who apparently thinks its ok to rip consumers off. This is legal? Does this mean ponzi schemes are legal? Maybe you should fire your engineers.

Love Always,

An Angry Consumer

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...my a305-s6872 toshiba satellite web camera it worked forever then just stopped working...The opening the lid to a halfway standstill is pretty much the only solution i have found that works, ...the problem is, this is an issue with the wiring....Does this mean ponzi schemes are legal?

Perhaps you have the wrong place. This is the peer support forum where we try to help each other solve problems. This is not really the vent and rant forum. But hey, feel free!

You're actually launching into a major tirade about your webcam, that, in your own words, 'worked forever then just stopped working'? Your laptop is 4-5 years old. Did you expect all the parts were going to work on it indefinitely?

Solution? Here's how to disassemble your Satellite A305 LCD screen to access the webcam & its cable. Then you can buy another webcam & cable here if necessary.

Ponzi schemes????  :smileyindifferent:

Mike