MountainStream

A305-S6825 shutting down by itself

I hope someone can help me with an issue that I am having with my A305-S6825 which I purchased in April/May 2008. In the past two weeks I have had the computer shutdown by itself. The computer shut down twice in a matter of 30 minutes the otherday. There's never any warning. The computer screen goes black and the computer is off. It has always happened when I was watching a video on the Internet.

I was told by techsupport the issue could be virus/malware, a bad hard drive or bad RAM. I have run 3 malware programs...no virus, no malware. I have run SeaTools...all tests. I have run chkdsk...past. I haven't figured out yet how to test the RAM.

99% of the time I run the computer plugged into an electric outlet. While I have a cooling pad under the computer at all times, I have noticed at times of late the cooling fan is screaming.

Also, I have noticed over the past couple of months that watching video from the Internet that video and sound haven't always been in sync and that there seems to be a buffering issue because the feed is very choppy.

Will these shutdowns show up in the Event Viewer? If so, where will I find them?

Are these powers all related?

If it is a cooling/cleaning problem, are the only two places to blow air into the round fan intake on the bottom of the computer and the exhast vents on the side of the computer? If the computer needs to be opened and clean can I do that or do I need to GeekSquad or someone like that to have them clean?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: A305-S6825 shutting down by itself

here is a guide to get in there and really clean it out. A305 disassemble.

cleaning notebook vents

try windows memory diagnostic. it can be found by searching mem in the start menu. it will run when you restart the laptop

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
MountainStream

Thanks, I did find the Windows Memory Test. The first time I ran the test the computer shut off in the middle of the second test. So I tried it again holding the computer up so the fan got full exposure the test run to fulfillment, but I could not find the results anywhere. So I gather the RAM is ok, and there is an issue with overheating.

I'm not real comfortable disassembling the computer especially since I don't have the proper tools to do so, but I guess I will have to do that since I called GeekSquad and they told me they don't disassemble and clean laptops because they don't have the 'special' tools.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

any real computer shop would be able to help you out with cleaning it out. i wouldnt trust geek squad to do anything with my laptop. i would throw it away and save myself the time rather then let then touch it.

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
MR1
MR1

If you have cleaned the cpu cooler and checked for a loose connection between the cpu cooler and the cpu and you are still having a shut down issue,perform the following:

When the computer shuts off, try to turn it back on.

If the computer shuts off again, using a pc vacuum (NOTE: do not allow the vacuum to over rev the cooling fan), try to cool the cooling fins of the cpu cooler by pulling air through the outside cooling vent for approximately 10 to 15 seconds.

Turn the computer back on again.

If the computer stays on longer, it could be a fan issue. Replace the cooling fan.

I completed this procedure about 2 weeks ago and my laptop has not shut down while in use since (other than when I shut it down). apparently the OEM's fan RPMs do not coincide with the motherboard's readings.

Also I no longer use a laptop cooler to keep it running either.

I hope this helps you.

Regards.

Pirikan

I have the same issue with a305-s6825 model laptop , I replaced the ac power cord , battery and memory, still facing with same issue which is shutting off while on AC Power . 

I even changed the Cooling fan and problem is still existing , hoping a recall by Toshiba soon ,,,