sevanclaig

A215-S5837 satellite laptop won't recognize DVD drive

[ Edited ]

Insert disc, spins, but nothing. Open any of various players (Toshiba DVD, Media player, media center) nothing plays. Can't find files or folders. Even opening start center, click 'computer' and it doesn't even show the drive exists anymore- just the c drive is listed.

This started after I followed through with suggested update of "DVD acoustic silencer"- at the end of which it stated did not install properly. Tried to go back to a Windows restore point of previous week, but it was no help and the just updated acoustic silencer seems to have remained.

Keep in mind I can't use recovery disc(s).

MSoft website instructed regedit of higher and lower blah blah- I followed instructions to a T and no help.

Apparently the DVD Driver comes preloaded and my latest search on Toshiba basically said, "it's preloaded so you don't need to redo it". No mention as to what happens if it was possibly erased... although not even remotely aware that is what or may have happened.

Anyone else know what to do- what is/might be going on? 

Toshiba Satellite A215-s5837 / Supermultimedia Drive / Vista Home Premium

User has basic computer knowledge- is not a programmer. (But concise instructions are easy to follow :smileyvery-happy:)

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: A215-S5837 satellite laptop won't recognize DVD drive

First, there were some critical BIOS updates for your system, and, as a basic user, perhaps you have installed not them. Click on 'Start' and type in   sys   and click on 'System Information', in the 'System Summary' look on the right hand side for 'BIOS Version/Date'. If you do not have BIOS update v2.30, then download this file to your desktop, double click to begin installation, following the directions. After saving the BIOS settings, reboot into Windows and check your DVD/CD drive.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.30 for Satellite A210/A215

How to update the BIOS on Toshiba notebooks

If you already have this update, then let's try a proper system reset, and see if this helps bring the DVD/CD drive back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again, and check if your DVD/CD drive is now present and working.

If neither of the above work, try this Microsoft Fix-It:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

Re: A215-S5837 satellite laptop won't recognize DVD drive

i have heard of this issue...im not sure if this fix would work...search on google missing dvd rom, then look for the microsoft website...there is a fixit for this or

try this, found this over the net

go to the registry editor and try to locate this following values on the registry and delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters

then restart the computer

hope this helps