Occasional Contributor
Andwele
Accepted Solution

A205-S5803 Not detecting hard drive in BIos

Here is the problem I am having. I bought a 500gb 7200 rpm drive for the laptop. When I tried to install XP on the laptop it would not detect the hard drive at all. I then tried the old hard drive to see what would happen and then same problem. After countless reboots the xp install found the hard drive and installed it self on the new hard drive. Many hours later drivers installed it seemed to work great until it did a update and rebooted. Now it's back and won't even detect either hard drives old or new. When I had the PC running I ran the Toshiba diagnostic software on the laptop and it showed everything passing (yeah right). Is this laptop serviceable or is a throw away laptop and buy another?

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: A205-S5803 Not detecting hard drive in BIos

If the Bios is not detecting the hard drive then the hard drive won't be seen by the computer either. The computer came with a 200 Gig hard drive running at 4200 RPM. The new hard drive is over twice as large and almost twice as fast, and probably requires more power too. I would change hard drives and get something that is comparable in speed and power requirements to the one that originally came with the computer. After installing the new hard drive, again check the Bios. If the Bios doesn't see the hard drive, the operating system won't see it either.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A205-S5803 

After countless reboots the xp install found the hard drive

Now it's back and won't even detect either hard drives old or new.

In my experience, intermittent behavior of that sort usually turns out to be hardware related.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Andwele

The hard drive that came with the laptop was a 140gig drive that I didn't format and left vista on. I reinstalled it and same problem it won't show up in the bios so the OS won't load. I have given up on it been something software and more hardware. I'm looking for a place to send it out too get repaired :smileysad:.

mesmith322

Before sending your laptop for repair, make sure your bios is up to date.

Satellite L655D-S5050
Windows 7 x64
320GB HDD, 6GB RAM, DVD RW
Occasional Contributor
Andwele

It's at 2.50 which is the latest update I found for it. I updated it after it didn't work the 1st time and all seemed good. I found a place to do it for a resonable price. . . .  well more like what I want to spend till I can buy a new laptop in a month. I just need this laptop for my new job then I can buy a new one once I start getting out of the red in a month or 2.

mesmith322

Another thing to try is installing one of the hard drives and then loading the bios defaults.

Satellite L655D-S5050
Windows 7 x64
Occasional Contributor
Andwele

I think I tried that one already but I'll do it again.

Occasional Contributor
Andwele

just tried it with the old hard drive in and it booted into windows. Shut it down and restarted 4 times and it still works????? I'm blown away. thanks! going to play with it some more just to make sure it still works.

mesmith322

It sounds like the other hard drive you were using may have not been compatable with your machine or it needed a firmware update to work properly with your machine.  By loading the bios defaults with the old hard drive installed, it told the bios to go and look to see what hard drive was actually installed.

Satellite L655D-S5050
Windows 7 x64
Occasional Contributor
Andwele

I'm going to go pick up a slower drive and save the 7200 for the new PC. thanks for the help.