tiffy5t

A205-S5000 laptop won't load the operating system...

I have a A205-S5000 laptop model and it's not working properly.  My laptop was working fine for about a year and then I had problems with the power cord not working and have since replaced that.  Now, when I turn on my laptop, the operating system doesn't load.  I get the Black screen that says Toshiba leading innovation, and it says Intel, and phoenix in the lower right corner.  On the grey status bar on the bottom of the screen it says, press [F2] for SETUP, Press [F12] for boot device selection menu.  Neither of the options work when I press the buttons.  I have restarted my computer numerous times and it doesn't work.  I can not get pass this screen.  I don't even have the option to reset my computer back to the factory settings.  If you can offer any help or suggestions, it will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: A205-S5000 laptop won't load the operating system...

if you happen to have a flash drive in the usb then remove that and try to start. sometimes this happens with my laptop. if you want to restore to factory then you will need to press and hold zero above p when that screen you discribed first comes up.

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
Occasional Contributor
DChristman

Have you tried F8 during the start up mode, and select either safe mode or recover?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Sounds like the hard drive has failed (or is failing).  Try taking it out and see if it allows you to enter the bios or boot to a CD/DVD.  If it does, then you should test the hard drive on a different system to see if you can recover any of the data off of it and replace it with a new Western Digital Scorpio Blue hard drive. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Huff1013

I am having the exact same problem and same model.

Toshiba splash screen shows, F2 setup and F12 boot would not respond.  I removed the HD, slaved to another system, tested read and write, no bad sectors, drive looks fine. Put HD back into the machine, booted, now F2 and F12 will get one step farther, I can see the HD light respond, but only getting the blank screen.  Tried removing the HD and booting, but no change.  Selecting F2 Setup only changes the wording to Please Wait and never gets into the bios.  F12 only blanks the screen and never shows a boot menu.  (The system never gets to a point of booting the OS, so no, F8 for safemode is not an option, it never gets that far...)  I have also reseated the RAM, Power supply is good, matching 19V 3.95A.  I'd flash the BIOS, but no way to boot anything so far...  Any ideas?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

In that case it sounds like it's time to start saving up for a different laptop or take it to a repair shop to have it diagnosed (probably a motherboard).  If it is a motherboard, and you aren't able to replace it yourself it would cost as much or more than the cost of a new laptop just to have it replaced.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.