AzureCuzYeah
Accepted Solution

A135-S7403 will not boot, go into safe mode, or reinstall vista

I have a strange and frustrating problem on my A135-S7403 Toshiba laptop with Vista basic. The other night while I watched a movie streamed from my media server, everything but my movie froze. After waiting until the movie ended I decided I waited long enough for the computer to catch up, so I just turned it off without the shutdown command, and pressed the button off. Upon starting up the laptop it refuses to boot, The loading bar continued to load for hours on end. I tried the same thing with all 3 options of safe mode but it gets stuck on loading the crcdisk (I think that is what it is) for hours also. I tried putting in my vista/toshiba recovery dvd to view the vista repair options but that also gets stuck past the vista loading bars on a black screen. From what I can see I am screwed from all angles here. I can't even reformat.

The only sign I had of something going wrong with the PC that same day was a pop up that said a part of my google chrome was corrupted, or something I downloaded in it.

Any suggestions?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: A135-S7403 will not boot, go into safe mode, or reinstall vista

Satellite A135-S7403

Try this. Turn the computer on and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

On the Advanced Boot Options menu, choose Repair Your Computer.

When you reach the System Recovery Options menu, choose Startup Repair.

If that doesn't do the trick, go back to the System Recovery Options menu and do a System Restore.

If that doesn't fix things either, go back to the System Recovery Options menu, choose Command Prompt, and follow the directions here

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair start...

-Jerry
AzureCuzYeah

[ Edited ]

I selected the "Directory Services Restore Mode. It also froze on start up. There is no "Repair" The other options besides safe mode options are Debug mode, Disable automatic restart on system failure and disable driver signature enforcement. 

There is nothing here that suggests a system restore is possible. (I also think it is disabled)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

There is no "Repair"

Toshiba says this applies to all its Vista computers. Not yours?

How to launch the Windows Recovery Environment

Please explain further.

-Jerry
AzureCuzYeah

I do not have this. View the picture here: http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8360/1000586.jpg

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I think it's time to talk with Toshiba. The article I cited plainly says this (my underlining).

Toshiba provides Windows RE on all computers sold with Windows Vista. It is stored in a special partition, usually 1.46GB in size.
-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Try reseating the memory, maybe it is loose.  If you have upgraded memory, remove the extra memory.  Also remove any hardware.  Try the recovery disc again.

If that fails, see if you can get into BIOS.  Press the F2 or ESC key while powering on.  In BIOS see if the hard drive is listed, also try to reset BIOS.  Then try the recovery disc again.  If the hard drive is not listed, then it maybe failing.

This signature left intentionally blank.
AzureCuzYeah

I tried all of your options Techman. Removing and adjusting the memory didn't do anything. The recovery disk continued not to boot up. In the Bios the hard drive is listed as for resetting the bios I did not see this as an option.

Is it possible to remove the harddrive and format it on another computer?

Occasional Advisor
Techman

There might be an optiopn in BIOS to reset to defaults.  If not, check all settings as soemtimes they change on thier own.

Maybe the recovery disc is bad, you coudl chekc it on another computer.  Yes, you cna format the haard drive on antoher computer.  You might need a USB to SATA or PATA drive coverter/ holder.  These turn a notebook hard drive into a external USB drive.

Also you could try to copy the SWM files off the recovery disc and do a manual recovery.  I posted instructions in another post telling how to do it, I think it was under how to bypass the DMI check.

Beyond that, all I can suggest is have an service center check it.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Occasional Contributor
BloodyRon

Here's a trick to run the disc properly. Once you turn on the notebook, immediately keep holding down F12 and then you will have the Boot Menu. On the Boot Menu, select CD/DVD drive then push enter and it will run the Recovery Disc. In running the Recovery disc, always select the first options. Make sure that there are no accessories plugged in to the notebook when you do this and the AC Adaptor of the notebook should be plugged into it to avoid interruption during the Recovery Process.

During the Recovery, if it is done with the first disc it iwll automatically prompt you to put in the 2nd disc. same thing happens to the 2nd disc whenever it is doen to it. But the Recovery Process isn't finish yet and it will continue doing it even the disc is already out. It will restart your computer for several times because it will install and configure the drivers and softwares of the notebook. Just let it do its thing. Don't interrupt it.

Signature left blank intentionally
AzureCuzYeah

No. We tried this already. It does not boot this way.

AzureCuzYeah

Problem solved using an old Windows XP cd to reformat the hard drive.