RinaVelez

3.10 BIOS Update for Satellite/Pro

I have a Satellite L755-S5242 laptop.

The last time I was prompted to update the BIOS, I had a terrible fiasco of having my computer ultimatly die, and I had to send it into the repair depot to correct it.

I have NO idea what any of the information being given to me means (English is not my first language) and I would really prefer to NOT have a repeat of last time.

Do I HAVE to update my BIOS? And if I do how do I do that, because I truely don't trust myself to just go through with it.

Any help would really be appreciated! Thank you!

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: 3.10 BIOS Update for Satellite/Pro

[ Edited ]

Satellite L755-S5242 Specifications

Satellite L755-S5242 Downloads

This is what the update v.3.10 fixes:

Version 3.10 - 2012-02-10

• Modified: NVIDIA VGA brightness adjust sequence for an intermittent HDMI audio detection issue.
  • Corrects an issue where, under specific conditions the BIOS update will corrupt the system BIOS and cause constant boot failures.

The old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is good to remember with computers, especially BIOS updates. But, given the 2nd fix above, which was probably the cause of your previous problem, I would install this update if I was you.

Download this file to your desktop, next do a fresh restart, after the restart then double click on this file to install the update, after the installation the update will want to shutdown or restart your computer, let it, on the restart as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key at the top of the keyboard to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press F9 load setup defaults, press F10 to save & exit, boot into Windows.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 3.10

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Elmo1967

I ran in the same problem over the weekend. I was prompt to update the BIOS, I clicked update, walk away from the computer for 10 mins,  and when I came back the computer went completely death.

I try to turn on the power by pressing the power button, but nothing happen. After 15 mins I decided to call the Tech support help line.

I spent nearly 1/12 hours on the phone with a Technician but no results. At the end she asks me to send the computer in for repair somewhere in Kentucky and it costing me $24.99.

The one thing that really upset me is that I found over hundred of postings on line this morning complaining on the same problem and not only that, there is a video on Youtube showing how it happened.  However, when i was on the phone with the Techician for over 1 hour, she sounds like I don't know what I am talking about.

This is what happen when you try to save $100. I should have brought a Sony or Dell. I will never touch any Toshiba products again as long as I live!!!

Regular Advisor
eniac

The update isn't "fixing" anything important that you need so leave it alone.

iskor

When I download thbios why do I get an error: C:\sk1wv310\launcher.exe 1418: Shortcut functions: Error loading shortcut file

On line 177 of D:\var\Win...ios_launcher\Launcher.wbt

In Routine "make_shortcut" 

neilymon

My laptop is a P755-S5120.

I saw in window 7 update that there was a BIOS up available and waiting to be installed. I clicked on the update and allowed it to process.

The reboot stopped at the Windows 7 logo screen and froze.

Rebooted hit esc, F2 & other keys and got the Repair Windows Menory, the different modes, the BIOS screen and the Repair screen and start normally.

I tried them all and got frustrated and finally pushed the on off button and hit esc key and F2 keys at the laptop recycled on off.

When I stopped, the screen Repair or restart came back I clicked restart and here I am. But I have turned off the laptop and have the same problem.

All after the BIOS update.

How do I fix this problem?

Occasional Contributor
xresx

I have seen this a lot lately, Seems to be a issue with the BIOS update. The workaround I have found is to change the Boot speed setting in Bios to "normal" instead of the default "fast"

So..

Press and hold the F2 button, then power on the Unit. That should bring up the BIOS press f9 to load defaults, then from there you should see a setting under the Advanced tab called boot speed, just set it to normal, then save and exit, and you should be able to load windows normaly

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Changing from Fast Boot to Normal is much easier than that.  Type HWSetup in the Start/Search box, click Enter, click on the Boot Setting tab and select Normal.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
fuzzyhead

Same issue here with a P755. Updated BIOS as recommended by Toshiba and when it broke computer in that it will no longer boot windows I am required to restore system to factory! This is equivalent to taking my car to the shop and the dealer tells me I need new tires and after installing while driving down the road my tires fall off and they say "OH, were sorry" you did not need those tires we will have to put the other tires back on and rebuild your car!!!

Sarazua

changing the boot speed absolutely worked for me thanks so much
Sarazua

@cbwilsha well now how would you do that if your computer frezes at the starting windows logo?
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

You are correct, of course, you can only use that procedure if Windows loads.  :smileyembarrassed:

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
fuzzyhead

Toshiba was going to have me recover my laptop to factory which seems to be the standard "Fix" when it turns out all I had to do to get past this issue was the BIOS speed change. I could not get anything to work after the BIOS update until this BIOS boot speed option was changed. It is amazing to me that no Toshiba techs I talked to ever suggested this simple fix!!!

jeffsun111

Thank you!

My computer dead because I install bios v2.7 for P750.

And it magical return well after I change the boot speed to normal.

Thank you!