valienu

1 month Toshiba satellite A505 s6033 freezing randomly and blank screen on startup

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My Toshiba satellite A505 s6033 start freezing last night when I was surfing the internet. After pressing 5 seconds or more the power button the computer turned off.  After that I start it back on but all the lights on body worked except the display.

After few more attempts I pushed arrow down and the power button the display turned on, but the freezing problem is back. So I thought that is a windows problem and I used the recovery partition to restore the state out of the box state. But the display is randomly blank when I push the start button except the other lights, and after restoring the laptop still freezing randomly in or during the windows is loading.

When I turn it on in safe mode, it works perfectly fine. When I turn it on normally, it freezes almost right away.

I bought this computer from bestbuy, but I am an Romanian citizen (sorry for my English), my question is : I can use the International Limited Warranty in my country ? Or what should I do to fix my laptop.

Kind regard,

Valentin

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: 1 month Toshiba satellite A505 s6033 freezing randomly and blank screen on startup

You will need to contact Toshiba Warranty Service about that.  This is just a users helping other users forum where Toshiba employees are expressly forbidden from posting or acting in any official capacity so there aren't any Toshiba Support Personnel here that can answer that question.  Go here http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/contact_toshiba.jsp?service=EU and use the left hand drop down menu to select your country to get the contact information for your area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

valienu

Re: 1 month Toshiba satellite A505 s6033 freezing randomly and blank screen on startup

Thank you very much

valienu

I have sent the laptop to local service for repair and they have found that the motherboard is the problem. So they ordered a new motherboard from Toshiba. Hope the next week my laptop is back to life again.

Thank you

valienu

Have past more then one month and  my laptop is still in the service because the motherboard didn't arrived yet. What should I do to have my laptop repaired.

PS  What is the prefix number for the support phone number if I call outside US?

Thank you

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

http://pc-support.toshiba-europe.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Rus33

I have exactly the same issue with my 2-week old laptop (Toshiba Satellite A505-S6035).  One day it froze up, Ctrl+Alt+Del would not work and I had to turn it off by pressing the power button for 5 sec.  After that it would continuously freeze up during the booting-up process (when the login screen would come up or even earlier when the windows logo was twirling).  The only way to shut it down was through the power button.  Then another thing started - when powered on, the lights on the laptop's body would come up, but the screen would be black.  After 3-4 times of turning it off, the screen would finally come back up just to show the screen freezing up again. 

I worked with Toshiba tech support and did a System Restore.  The computer worked for a while, but then started freezing up again.  I was able to get the safe mode to work, but it actually froze once during the booting up in safe mode!  I went all in and did a full wipe back to the factory set-up (pushing down on "0" during the power-up).  I was heartbroken when after the process was completed, the laptop froze up again on power up.

Right now, the screen stays blank on power-up.  I no longer seem to even see the freezing process (hah!)  I was told to return the laptop for a replacement.  I hope the next one will be all right, but for some reason I do not have much faith...  (July 7, 2010)

SherylM

Have you tried contacting Toshiba to see if you can send it in for Depot Repair under warranty? You probably should fix it before you leave the country. Toshiba 800-457-7777.

valienu

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Finally my laptop is running again. After 1 month and half I pick it up from local Toshiba service, but seems that the real problem was actually the video card. After they installed the new motherboard the problem persists when they try an system recovery from the recovery partition, so they have changed the video card also and my laptop is as new again. But they forgot to change the part and serial number of the motherboard with the one labels on the back of my laptop and I have to go back again to change it to its original stage.

I have to know if the temperature indicated by the "fun speed" application have to concern me :
From Idle to max 50% load:
 - GPU : 45 - 60 degrees
 - Temp1 (system I guess) : 45 - 68 degrees
- CPUS : 45 - 67 degrees
 - Ambient temperature 25 degrees

Thank you all for your time and support

renatoms

First, sorry because of my English, it is not my language and it's been a while since I had to used it.

This is happening to me, when I bought the laptop I had a few times that it froze but I thought it was something I did, and it happened once or twice in 3 months, for 9 months, maybe 4 times in the last month, it began to increase.

Then I thought it could be the temperature, and after a while, 2 months, I didn't had time, I bought a external cooler, but it didn't work... By this time my warranty expired... And thinking it could be dirt, I opened the back, but just by removing it I saw it was clean and put it back, I did nothing but opening... And again started looking for what it could be... Yes, I tried looking here, but I didn't find this topic that time, and now that I don't have the warranty I found it...

Any one here could help me? What should I do? Is there any way to fix it without buying a new video card? 

I live in Brazil so its difficult for me to buy parts, I bought the laptop in the states when there, here the hardware are expensive... But if I have, I'll buy... If I have to buy a new one, could you tell me if there is a new one that I can buy that has little difference in price for the one I have and it's better?

PS: Toshiba from Brazil didn't helped me, I just spoke with then...

I thank you for any help!!