cam070

0xc0000185 error on Satelite U945-S4130

My near new laptop has been working OK. It started having problems with the wireless card which needed resetting periodically. Now the problems have gotten much worse. I now get an error:

0xc000185

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

It says theer are recovery toopls in the installation media, but none were supplied with my machine.

I have tried the troubleshooter, to no avail.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: 0xc0000185 error on Satelite U945-S4130

Satellite U945-S4130

On a new machine, I would restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media and then return it if the problem persists.

Settings > Change PC settings > General tab > Remove everything and reinstall Windows

If you want other feedback, attach a picture of the message.

-Jerry
cam070

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't even get my machine to boot, so can't access settings. FYI the error message appears on a blue screen  immediately after the Toshiba splash screen.

I will get a picture of teh screen tomorrow.

Cheers

Cameron

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can't even get my machine to boot,..

You should have told us that in your first message, Cameron.

If you're persistent, both Microsoft and Toshiba say you can reach the Choose an option menu (the Windows 8 version of a recovery environment) from startup.

Microsoft says that repeatedly failing to boot automatically gets you there. You can also get there by booting from a system repair/recovery/installation disc or flash drive.

Toshiba says tapping the F12 key early in the boot gets you there. (You may need to Select <HDD Recovery> after that.) The zero key at the top also seems to work for some.

Try that.

-Jerry
cam070

[ Edited ]

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply, again.

I have tried rebooting many times now. I have seen that screen before (I started trying to repair the PC), but not again since I started trying to fix things.

I have also followed the Toshiba troubleshooter and fell over when it said I should get to that screen, as I got some other screen.

FYI, the error message I get is attached in the image. Hopefully this sheds a little more light on the situation.

Also, can I reinstall Windows as per your original reply without the installation media? I assume not. None of this was supplied with my machine.

Cameron

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

0xc0000185

"STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR: Incorrect termination, defective cabling of SCSI-based devices, or two devices are trying to use the same IRQ."

...which is consistent with a hard drive failure (but also may not be).

Can you reach the UEFI directly using F2? Hold the F2 button and power on the laptop. Continue holding the F2 button until the UEFI settings load.  Alternatively, try tapping F2 every half-second.(You'll find that at the very bottom of this Toshiba page.) If so, verify that the hard drive is seen from there.

Otherwise, you can try restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. Obtain it from Toshiba. Scroll down to Get Recovery Media here

For instructions, see the section Restoring from recovery media, which begins on p. 56 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro U900 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
cam070

[ Edited ]

Hi Jerry,

So if I can see the HDDs on the UEFI does that mean they are OK, in which case I just need to restore back to factory settings using the installation media?

I see:

HDD1/SSD1    HGST HTS545050A7E380

HDD2/SSD2    SAMSUNG M2MPC032HBCD-00000

FYI I tried to F9, "Load setup defaults" and then F10 to save this setting, but this had no apparent effect.

Cameron

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

if I can see the HDDs on the UEFI does that mean they are OK

No. But the converse is true: If you cannot see the hard drive, then it is probably not okay.

Time to try restoring to factory-new.

-Jerry
cam070

Does that mean I need to purchase the installation disks from Toshiba?

If I have a copy of Windows lying around, could I just use that?

Cameron

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It says theer are recovery toopls in the installation media, but none were supplied with my machine.

Does that mean I need to purchase the installation disks from Toshiba?

Cameron, you were supposed to create recovery media when Windows was bootable. See the section Creating recovery media, which begins on p. 53 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro U900 Series User’s Guide

Toshiba says the recovery media is free (but the shipping and handling is huge). I would order the thumb drive.

You can use the recovery media from Toshiba to reach the recovery environment we talked about and possibly repair your installation. If that's not possible, it can restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents.

If you have a Windows 8 installation DVD, it may be possible to reach the recovery environment from that. Give it a try..

-Jerry