Sketcher
Accepted Solution

Excite 13

I am very jazzed to buy the Excite 13 (13 inch tablet) when it becomes available, I think June 10th is when it hits the market. Interested in any and all discussion about the Excite 13 here in this discussion thread. 

Anybody (toshiba support) know what the dimensions (widthxheight) of it will be? All I read is the thickness (10.2mm if I recall), and that it has a 16:9 or 'candybar' format.

I know some bloggers and such have questioned if we really need a tablet so 'large'. But I want large. I plan to use it as a portable digital sketchpad, especially to learn and do storyboard sketching (so the 16:9 W:H ratio is perfect, cinematic for drawing storyboards for filmmaking).  I have tried smaller tablets and have come to the conclusion that I just can not use tablets on my lap, period; the associated chronic neck flexion causes neck pain (a well known phenomenon known as 'ipad neck')-- so i can only use a tablet on a stand at a table in a coffee shop, etc. Thus the size and weight does not matter, in fact for my goals and needs, bigger is better. I have a Wacom Cintiq digital drawing pad, but that is tethered to my PC by various cords; have a decent sized portable tablet for sketching is going to be wonderful, and I love the aesthetics of the Excite 13 from the pictures I have seen.

I would love to pre-order the Excite 13 but I can not see any sites for pre-orders, not even at toshibadirect, so I guess we will have to be patient and wait to order June 10th?

Sketcher

Memory Card ?

[ Edited ]

What type/categor/class/speed of SD memory card is recommended for the Excite 13?

What is the maximum size of SD memory card that the Excite 13 will be able to recognize?

I would like to go ahead and purchase an SD memory card, be ready. I want to get the fastest class of SD memory and highest capacity that this tablet will recognize, as I plant to put a lot of images on the memory card and I want the best read/write speed from the memory card.

Sketcher

anti-fingerprint coating on gorilla glass ?

Quick question to Toshiba: Does the gorilla glass for the Toshiba Excite 13 have an 'anti-fingerprint' oleophobic nanoparticle coating like the ipad has? I am actually hoping the answer is "No" as I do not care to be rubbing my fingers over nanoparticles that penetrate the skin and cause as yet unstudied effects (I have researched this). If the answer is "Yes" it will affect whether I purchase and apply some sort of screen protector on the tablet (a screen protector that does not have the anti-fingerprint oleophobic coating)>

Peter

Re: anti-fingerprint coating on gorilla glass ?

I'm glad you're excited! (Get it?) Thanks for the great questions. I'll see what I can find out for you.

- Peter
Peter

Re: anti-fingerprint coating on gorilla glass ?

I have a few answers. The dimensions are 343.8 x 211.61 x 9.62 mm (13.5" x 8.3" x 0.39").

It can use SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards. It supports cards with DDR50 at a maximum speed of 48 MB/s.

As for pre-orders, as far as I know you'll need to simply keep checking Toshiba Direct.

- Peter
Sketcher

Re: SD memory expansion

[ Edited ]

Any specs/knowledge on how big of an SD memory card the Excite will accept/utilize? I probably would not buy one bigger than 64GB, but I might (but certainly no more than 128GB because of the cost), as my main purpose will be to sketch HD multilayered drawings using Autodesk Sketchbook Pro (thank goodness the excite tablets will have the Android Marketplace (a.k.a. Google Play as it is now called), as I recently bought a cheap tablet that did not and that would not allow the AM/GP and so there was no way for me to get Autodesk Sketchbook Pro on that tablet (even worse considering I already had purchased that app and a few others previously and could not transfer them to that tablet (which was not a Toshiba tablet fwiw). 

Anyhow I would like to start shopping for an SD card, just wondering how big I could go-- 32GB? 64GB? 128GB?

And yes, I am Excited to get a 13 inch Excite!

Peter

Re: SD memory expansion

I believe 128 GB is the largest, but I'm not positive.

- Peter