Intrigue
Accepted Solution

Can't copy files to/from Mac or PC

Hello,

Our company just received the Excite 10 LE (16GB). It's our first Android based tablet so I'm just getting my feet wet with setting it up. Some minor glitches along the way (tablet freezing up) but otherwise, it's coming along.

One thing we need to do is be able to copy files back and forth to the Tablet. There was no documentation included that even mentions how to do this! While it may exist somewhere buried, it should be in a more prominent location. It does mention how to back up data to Google and/or an SD card but that's not what I want to do right now.

But anyway, I found instructions online provided by Google on how to do regular file transfers. But for some reason, it is not working. I plugged in the tablet using the  supplied USB cable and it did not get recognized on a PC or a Mac. For the Mac, I  previously downloaded the Android File Transfer App which installed just fine. But it does not see anything connected (even after unplugging/replugging. The PC did not mount it like a hard drive either. The tablet does charge when plugged in so it is getting power.

So am I doing something wrong or is there an incompatibility with the device? I know it's brand new and all that, but not being able to transfer files is a major problem. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-David

Peter

Re: Can't copy files to/from Mac or PC

The tablet doesn't charge through the same port with which it connects to a PC. Did you unplug the USB cable from the AC adapter and use that? If so, it won't connect with that cable. You'll want to use a micro USB cable for connectivity.

- Peter
Intrigue

Ah, interesting! I was not aware of that. I think I tried it first with the USB cable that it came with (the AC adapter cable). That was what the instructions I found said to do. I did try the mini-USB cable I had lying around, but that was before I installed the Android Transfer app.

So I just tried it again now (post installation) and it IS showing up in the File Transfer app. I'll have to try the same thing on the PC with this cable. I guess that was really the issue - the cable being used.

Very odd that this tablet would need 2 separate USB cables but I'm glad it works now.

Thank you for your help.

Peter

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the feedback. I hope everything goes smoothly for you now!

- Peter
dogfunky

That is very odd because I contacted Toshiba support about this very issue and they told me that I should be able to use the cable provided to transfer data to/from my computer. This makes me slightly upset.

Occasional Contributor
miishen

Not sure if this applies to anyone - but if you've purchased the Toshiba Bluetooth keyboard it comes with a charging cable.

That cable (the charging cable from the keyboard) works for file transfer to/from my pc if I connect the tablet to the pc with it (haven't tried it on the mac).

I tried it on a hunch before searching and buying a micro usb cable and it worked.

Just FYI.