Occasional Advisor
mimble
Accepted Solution

battery drain overnight. Stop complaining and fix it

There are many complaints about batteries draining overnight. If you look in dell and lenovo fora, you will see the same problem. There are actually three things you can do.

1. Tedious: Make sure you have the full keyboard with an alt key. From the desktop (not start screen) alt-f4 and shutdown.

2. More tedious: get a command prompt (cmd). Type
  shutdown /s

3. Easy: Run regedit and search for
  csenabled
Set the value from 1 to 0.
This disables connected standby.

Try all three. You can see what has happened when you turn on the device and run "powerconfig /batteryreport". The device should go active->connected standby->suspended with zero time in the connected standby state.
Obviously, the three suggestions will disable connected standby, so your calendar will not sync overnight. If this bothers you, continue complaining. Given the complaints in so many fora, I will be surprised if windows behaviour is not changed in the upcoming (march) update.

Occasional Advisor
westlicht

Re: battery drain overnight. Stop complaining and fix it

If you want your Windows tablet to suspend instead of being in connected standby mode you can simply shutdown the device using the charm bar->settings->shutdown option. Re-Booting will take some time (< 30s on my Encore) - of course - but you will achive minimal battery drain. Shutdown makes sense if you're not planning to use your tablet for a while and not apps need to run in background during the sleep phase.

If you just want to have you tablet back online in a fast way without having metro apps running in the background you should logoff before you switch your tablet into connected standby mode. If you have a recent driver set on your tablet that doesn't prevent from entering the connected standby mode you should archive the promised standby times of around 7 days in this mode.

If you want your metro apps to run in background in connected standby mode you shouldn't logoff, of course. Some apps are still not designed to work efficiently in connected standby mode. If you encounter that a certain metro app causes to much background activityand power draining ("powercfg sleepstudy" report), though, you can disable the permission for this app to run in background - or simply close this app before entering the connected standby mode. There are four ways to do this:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/28560/windows-8-four-ways-to-close-metro-apps/

So - depending on your needs - there are different ways of power saving with Windows tablets and IMHO there is no need to disable connected standby in general. Windows Phone users suffered from similar problems over a long time but finally all app designers and the operation system itself managed to implement a power efficient way of running background task in standby mode. Hope that this will happen to Windows 8 and apps quite soon ...

Bernd

Occasional Advisor
mimble

I see what you are saying, but disagree.

westlicht wrote:

If you want your Windows tablet to suspend instead of being in connected standby mode you can simply shutdown the device using the charm bar->settings->shutdown option. Re-Booting will take some time (< 30s on my Encore) - of course - but you will achive minimal battery drain. Shutdown makes sense if you're not planning to use your tablet for a while and not apps need to run in background during the sleep phase.

[...]

No, if this worked, than I would never have gone through the contortions described above.

charms->settings->shutdown is the most natural, but if you look at the report from powercfg, it still wants to go to connected standby.

I do not want anything updated overnight. When I say shutdown, I really want the cpu off and the wireless completely off.

I admit, it takes some seconds to reboot. If this bothers you, than clearly you should follow your route and use sleep.

Occasional Advisor
westlicht

... using the CharmBar->Settings->PowerButton gives you options to standby/shutdown/restart the system. If you choose the shutdown-option the tablet really shuts down (at least with my Encore) - without any command line options. If I switch on the device again I get the Toshiba BIOS logo on the screen and that indicates to me that the tablet was in complete shutdown mode. Also the batteryreport states that the tablet was suspended!

If shutdown is your favourite "sleep" mode than you can simply change the behavior of the power button in the power options: just change it to shutdown instead of sleep. Pressing the button forces the tablet to shutdown afterwards, quite easy to use. Everything ist described in detail here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57612773-75/how-to-shut-down-windows-8.1/

Hope this makes it a bit more convenient for you

Bernd

Occasional Advisor
mimble

[ Edited ]

My my.. you are right.

Using the setting under power options has the same effect as setting the registry key, but is far more elegant.

I would like to delete my post at the start of the thread, but apparently cannot.

In the threads here and for the similar lenovos and dells, more people should just take your advice and shut down their tablets seriously.

Regular Builder
padgett

My experience is that after selecting shut down if you get a blue screen that says "shutting down" it is but wait for it to go away.

old_softie

just FYI if you turn CSENABLED from 1 to 0 the option to sleep is removed from the charm menu. You can't sleep in non CS.