Occasional Contributor
MikeB55

SD Card

Any suggestions on an SD card?  Does the Encore support SDXC?  I am considering a SanDisk 64 GB Ultra.  Don't want to spend too much, but want a fast SD card.

Regular Builder
padgett

Re: SD Card

I have both SandDisk and Kingston 64gb micro SDcards I use in my Encore and Acer W3. No problems. Have all fourteen episodes of Firefly, the movie Serenity, two complete service manuals for some of my cars, and 12GB of music on one. U1 speed seems equivalent to class 10, speed is more limited to the slot. Video is just fine.

ps these do not work in my Android tabs or phone, just Windows..

Occasional Contributor
burikd

I use a 64 gb Samsung SDXC pro, class 10 (=U1). It works perfectly, so yes, SDXC is supported.

I formated the card to NTFS.

Since the Encore comes with 32 gb main drive, I use the sd to store not only music and movies, but I also run lots of software from that. The speed is totally enough for Notepad++, and similar small apps, but it is also capable of running graphic software (gimp, Corel) or even XAMPP server (Apache, MySQL). So for my development needs it is perfect.

The only problem: Windows can not place shortcuts on the taskbar if the target file is on a removable media.

Regular Builder
padgett

[ Edited ]

There is a way but it isn't pretty. Basically you need to create a batch file that points to the executable on the removable drive and put it in the start menu directory . Then you need to pin it to the start menu. Next you create a shortcut on the desktop with the target 'C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\<batch file name>"  That shortcut you can pin to the task bar.(note: it may also open a CMD window.)

Occasional Contributor
Jeffery_Chan

[ Edited ]

burikd wrote:

The only problem: Windows can not place shortcuts on the taskbar if the target file is on a removable media.

I am installing apps and portable apps on my sd memory as well. There is a walkaround to make apps pin to your task bar in desktop. Don't know when this started but this function of mounting volumes is in Vista, Win 7 and now Win 8. This is what I did for pinning Firefox which I installed on my SD memory, the method is to map on c: drive your sd card contents which is in say d:\directory:-

1) Make c:\sdcard

2) go to Disk Management, right click on your sd card partition, select "change drive letter and paths", click on "Add" to allow access to this volume (sd card) by using the following drive letters and paths;

3) On the radio button "mount in the following empty NTFS folder" browse to your sd card directory and select it;

4) Once that you are done you would see something like TIxxxxxx C:\sdcard (meaning that your sd card is now mounted to the c: drive!

5) And now when you go back to your c: drive you will see that the folder "c:\sdcard" has that blue memory card icon, double click on that you will jump to the directory contents of your sd card; so in my case I located the icon to Firefox.exe, right click to pin it to the task bar, you can pin to task bar for just about anything, hopefully.

Finally as well as mounting the whole sd card directory you can also follow the same method to mount a specific directory. Say if you have a directory of portableapps from that famous web site. Incidentally I think you need this method to synch your contents on sd card to Skydrive.