chrisbutme

webcam will not work

I have a satellite A205-S4629. The built in camera is no longer working after upgrading to windows 7. I have reinstalled the camera assistant software, but the camera will not turn on. I don't see the device in the device manager menu. I think I may need to download the driver again, but I am having difficulty finding it. Any other help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Chris

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: webcam will not work

Satellite A205-S4629 Specifications

Satellite A205-S4629 Downloads

Did you do an in place upgrade of your original Vista installation? Or, did you do a 'clean' or custom install of Windows 7?

Try this camera utility (which includes the driver). Even though it's a Vista version, it's the only one available on your model's download site. I believe it will work with Win7.

Camera Utility for Windows Vista(v6.109.1.0)

Please let us know how you upgraded to Win7, and if the above driver/utility works.  Good luck.

Mike

chrisbutme

It was a clean upgrade. The driver/utility is not working. The camera still won't turn on. The camera assistant software comes on but I get a popup message that says "please turn on the camera" when I try to take a picture. 

Super Advisor
miker643

Did you carefully these directions and use the Toshiba driver/software installer utility? Regardless, make sure you have the latest BIOS update installed, and then try to run the software installer and see if it helps resolve your problem.

How to Custom Install Windows 7

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

nagmail1

I had this problem on a satellite L675D-S7046 laptop.  My webcam worked, then stopped working.  Here is what I did to correct the problem.  I did not have to restore the laptop to original load.  I think that is the techs response to a problem if they do not know what to do to resolve the problem.  If you look in your device manager and look for imaging devices.   If it is there, open it up and see if it lists - chicony usb 2.0 camera.  I first uninstalled it and then I thought I made it worse, but that was not the case.  I finally found this site - http://www.drivermanager.com/en/drivers.php?Brand=​Chicony&Logo=chicony&gclid=CMK5kIOCrq8CFQVoKgodvg...

From this site I downloaded the driver manager for Chicony driver updated.  After it is downloaded, run it and the installer will load it on your pc and load the correct version for your laptop.  After this ran, I looked in device manager, and imaging devices was ther again with the camera.  All that was left was to get the correct toshiba driver.  From the toshiba support screen, go to downloads.  Select category, family and model.  Scroll down to Camera Driver Application, download it, and run it.  This will install the camera drivers again.  After install, you will need to restart your pc.  I followed these steps and after my pc restarted, I had my webcam again.

You do not have to recover your pc for this.  I worked in IT for over 35 years and people who don't know how to correct a problem almost always suggest a re-image or restore of the pc.  I hope that this helps you.

Super Advisor
miker643

nagmail1 wrote:...You do not have to recover your pc for this.  I worked in IT for over 35 years and people who don't know how to correct a problem almost always suggest a re-image or restore of the pc.  I hope that this helps you.

I'm sorry that you apparently misunderstood my recommendations. But, perhaps if you had read the whole thread a little more carefully you would have realized that I never suggested that chrisbutme re-image or restore the pc.

In fact, chrisbutme just did a clean install of Windows 7 to upgrade the unit. I was pointing chrisbutme to the proper procedures that should have been followed for a successful Windows 7 clean install on a Toshiba laptop. I then recommended making sure the latest BIOS update had been installed (part of the aforementioned procedures), and that chrisbutme use the Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7. This Toshiba software interrogates the unit to find the correct model number, then automatically downloads the proper Toshiba device drivers & Toshiba utilities for that model, and loads them in the correct order. It has nothing to do with re-imaging or restoring.

But then, someone who had worked in IT tech support for over 35 years would have known that. Perhaps that wasn't your area of expertise?

Mike

nagmail1

I read the threads and understood them.  I was just stating that you do not always have to do a re-install to correct a problem.  I would try and find out what the problem was first and then try to correct that instead of reloading the pc and then re-installing all other software.  That would have been very invasive to me to do to correct a minor problem.  That is how I handled it work.   

RichardFish

Sometimes Windows does not "read" the drivers as expected, this might be the reason why you are experiencing these issues. I would suggest you to download and test an universal twain driver that does not have similar problems ( http://www.terminalworks.com/unitwain ).