StogieC
Accepted Solution

eco Utility Crashing

My Toshiba eco Utility is crashing any time I try to turn eco Mode ON in the utility.  The Power plan goes to "eco" but the green light on the eco button never turns on and the service and utility crash with the message "Error has occurred in TOSHIBA eco Utility. It will exit the application"

I have installed and reinstalled the Vista 64bit application with no luck.  I also tried the 32 bit.  System is an A505-6965.  Any thoughts?

laics

Re: eco Utility Crashing

I have the same problem too. Using x64. First, I install the x32 eco utility. It was workable. After that, I uninstall it and install with x64 eco utility which I downloaded from the toshiba websites too, and it is not working, appear the same error message. I have since uninstalled the x64 eco utility and install back x32 but the same error alert window error. Anyone can help?

Regular Advisor
Defender

They key here is to ensure TVAP is reinstalled first, then eco utility.  Remembr unit had the HDD detection utility so insure it is flat, even on a chill mat device.

StogieC

I uninstalled the eco util, uninstalled TVAP, rebooted, installed TVAP, installed eco.  SAME PROBLEM...  Any other ideas?

StogieC

ok, The FN keys for changing the screen brightness are not doing anything.  In fact, I can't change the screen brightness at all.  I think this may be part of the underlying issue.  Any idea how to fix that?

StogieC

I found the problem.  logmein.com installed its own monitor driver.  I simply deleted it in the device manager and ran a "Scan for New Hardware".  The Monitor was redetected and the Microsoft Generic PnP Monitor Driver works fine.

Regular Advisor
Defender

Glad to learn your up and runnnig okay now.  Later.

Mike-N-Ike

[ Edited ]

I was really glad when I found this.  I too had the same problem with ecoUtility crashing when called and no screen brightness adjustments.  And this happened after installing Logmein with the mirror drivers.  I uninstalled the mirror drivers from the device manager, told LMI not to use it anymore and rebooted.  Went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled eU, too.

Unfortunately, this fix has not worked for me.  eU still crashes.  I can't uninstall LMI at this time as I'm actually remoting from work now to try and fix this problem.  I'm running Vista x86 on a Satellite L505.

When I get home, I will try uninstalling LMI completely and trying again.  Until then, any other ideas?

UPDATE: I removed the generic monitor and then rescanned.  Found the monitor though not the exact same.  The last one said (MDSN) or something like that.  Anyway, eU works now and my screen will change brightness but not through the Fn keys.  Fn brightness controls are still no-go.

UPDATE: Ok, well, I didn't do anything but I do have brightness control back via the Fn key.  Thanks anyways.

Repeater

Hi, all.  I'm having this problem with my new Satellite a505.  I got it on February 10th.  The eco utility crashes and the green light goes off on the side.  It was installed when I took it out of the box.  What's causing this problem?  Anyone figure this out?

Occasional Contributor
Ignacio104

I had the same problem, but I solved it, the thing was that I use a Samsung T240 external monitor, so I tried the Eco Utility with this monitor pluged and the eco utility didn't work, So I tried it with the Notebook screen, and it worked perfect. So the problem was the external monitor. I hope you can solve your issue like I did.

catdoghorse

i do not get it. please explain to old school, old person. why are we describing this problem on toshiba site with no explanation from toshiba. my computer keeps crashing with eco utility crashing and reading this forum does not seem to provide an answer. what gives?

somenothingness

I'm running a A665-S6067 Windows 7 64 bit.  I have uninstalled ECO and rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted.  The settings seem to stay in effect even after the programs stops working and closes.  I suppose I don't have to have this feature, I can just adjust the power settings to match the ECO settings and use the FN keys.  As far as I can tell, my monitor is correct and I have no issues with logmein.  Good question about Toshiba Support though.  When did tech support turn into customer forum think tanks?

somenothingness

I fixed my problem with a BIOS update.  Check for your model here. Refine search by BIOS but not model.  Search all OS.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?origin=new&ct=DL

jrdl30

My laptop satellite C850-A685, Wins7 64bit: eco Utility Crashing

Please, you read this my picture about happen it? You can help for me. :smileysad:

So Thank you for information and sharing mate! :smileyhappy:

- De Luna
CindyMasek

If you re getting the Eco error message and you are ok with the brightness of the screen, does it hurt to ignore the message?  It won't harm anything will it?