pforkes

Where can I find the driver for the CD/DVD drive?

I am away from home and my Toshiba Satellite A215-S4747 has decided not no let me access my CD/DVD drive.

At bootup, Windows Vista Home tells me "Windows needs to install driver software for your  ATA device".  This device would appear to be the CD/DVD drive.

I went to the Toshiba support/downloads page but there is nothing that tells me it is the driver for the CD/DVD drive, so that I can re-install it.

Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can get the driver for my CD/DVD drive?  A URL taking me straight the the driver would be superb/  Alternately, if you can tell me either the make model (or where I can find this information on my machine).  I do not have the original install disk with me.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Where can I find the driver for the CD/DVD drive?

There isn't any seperate DVD/CD driver.  The driver is included within Windows or is part of the basic chipset driver package.  Knowing the make and model number of the dvd drive won't help. 

See if this helps.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?ct=SB&soid=445782&ref=EV

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

pforkes

I had already tried that and it still does not find the drive.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Is it showing up in the bios? If not, shut down the laptop, unplug the AC Adaptor, remove the battery, then press and hold the power on button for a minimum of 60 seconds.  Then plug it back in and restart the system

Is it showing up in Device manager?  If so, try uninstalling it from there then reboot the laptop to see if Windows will automatically re-install it.  If there is an error message there, please give it to us EXACTLY as it appears, word for word, character for character.

Remember, we aren't there looking at the screen to see exactly what happens.  You have to provide us with as much detail as possible.  Err on the side of TOO much info rather than not enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

jbray

Hi I too am having trouble with the CD/DVD driver

I recently downgraded my satellite a200 notebook to xp from vista and everything works fine except for the fact that the cd drive no longer wants to work.

any ideas??

thanks

corrios

I have a Satellite A215-S4747 toshiba Laptop and my CD/DVD drive disapeared , this is what I have dond so far:

I access the Device Manager and uninstalled the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and after I uninstalled all of them that's when I restart my Laptop with a cd inside the DVD and it worked and I was able to play a movie. It was working well until I shutdown the laptop and remove the cd before shuting down the laptop. When I restarted the Laptop one more time the CD/DVD disapeared from the My Computer and it gave me a error that the device is missing.

I will really apreciate if you or somebody from the Forum can help me.

Thank you for reading these lines and I hope to hear from you soon.

Peter

corrios, you might want to check the fix discussed in the following article:

What can I do if my CD or DVD drive doesn't work properly?

- Peter