jeancallisti

Where are the "Satellite L450D" USB drivers?

[ Edited ]

Hello, I followed the official Toshiba steps described here : http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/How-To-Fix-USB-Problems/ta-p/283727

I uninstalled all the USB entries from the Device Manager on my Satellite L450D 11/9 with Windows 7 32 bits Home Edition.

Terrible mistake! Windows 7 fails to reinstall the USB drivers (even after reboot) and all my USB ports are now useless. No device is detected when plugged in, and the USB entries appear as "not properly installed" in the Device Manager.

Problem: I can't seem to find where to download the said USB drivers (or chipset drivers).

None of the Doanload categories on the Toshiba website seem to match what I'm looking for : http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

Please, Toshiba officials, tell me urgently where to download the USB drivers, or the chipset's drivers.

jeancallisti

Re: Where are the "Satellite L450D" USB drivers?

[ Edited ]

After research, I've found that I need drivers for one or both of these components :

ATI SB7x0 USB EHCI Controller   (probably the SB700 model)

AMD RS780M (it's actually weird because it turns out that AMD is just relabelling some ATI hardware, so one needs to download ATI software/drivers)

It seems like the "ATI Catalyst" software pack includes some of the stuff I need... but even after (re)installing it, it says that it didn't need to update anything.

I still need help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't understand anything you're saying, Jean.

Start by telling us which computer you have. The model looks something like Satellite L450D-128. The part number looks something like PSLY5E-01301LEN.

You probably have Windows 7 Home Premium installed. What is the bitness?

-Jerry
jeancallisti

[ Edited ]

Hello Jerry,

I'm sorry to hear that my post isn't clear. But to be honest, it's your post that's confusing me right now. The answers to both your questions (exact OS and bitness, and exact Toshiba computer model) are in my first post, in bold characters.

Let me know if you need me to copy-paste them again here.

As for the part number, I'll have a look tonight when I go home. But the exact OS and computer model ought to be enough to start looking for the drivers. You go and try: Uninstall all your USB devices and you'll see that all the drivers go missing. I challenge you to reinstall them! :-)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

My apologies about the bitness. I missed that you have 32-bit Windows.

There are two Home editions of Windows 7: Home Basic and Home Premium.

Satellite L450D 11/9 

This is the part that puzzles me. Don't you have a label on the bottom that gives a model and part number something like these?

Satellite L450D-128

PSLY5E-01301LEN

You should also find the part number here. That would suffice.

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > PC Diagnostic Tool

In the meantime: Once the chipset software is working, USB 2.0 drivers are native to Windows 7.

Can you attach a picture (see mine below) that shows what you're talking about?

-Jerry
jeancallisti

[ Edited ]

My computer's details (strangely, I've tested them on Toshiba's website, and they're not recognized) :

PART NO. :  PSLY5E-005027EN
SERIAL NO. : 2A548356K

Here are the screenshots you requested. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/23513737.png/ (sorry, the "insert image" function of this forum didn't seem to work with that images host)

All the screenshots are actual screenshots except the one labelled "not an actual screenshot"

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L450D-119 (PSLY5E-005027EN)

Finally!

I've tested them on Toshiba's website, and they're not recognized

That's because this site is for US computers. The downloads for that UK model are here.

Sorry, I can't make out your pictures. They look like this to me.

Picture.JPG

See if reinstalling your display driver helps. It must contain the chipset software as well.

ATI Display Driver for Windows 7 - 64, 19/08/10

-Jerry
jeancallisti

[ Edited ]

> Finally!

You know, it's not easy updating you when your Internet connection is a USB dongle, and the issue is precisely that the USB doesn't work...

> Sorry, I can't make out your pictures. They look like this to me.

Did you try clicking on the picture to enlarge it? The link I gave you is a linking to a images hosting site.

Try this link instead: http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5636/23513737.png

> See if reinstalling your display driver helps.

As I've said before, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling ATI Catalyst several times, but I'm willing to try again with your link, as I'm almost certain the issue lays with the ATI chipset.

...But I'll try the 32-bits drivers instead of the 64-bits link you gave me, if you don't mind.

jeancallisti

I've uninstalled ATI Catalyst (and made sure I removed every component), rebooted, reinstalled it using the link you gave me, and rebooted again.

The issue remains the same.

Please let me know if you managed to see my screenshots.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'll try the 32-bits drivers .. if you don't mind.

Sarcasm.

If you had disclosed what you have there, we would not need to guess.

Good luck.

-Jerry
jeancallisti

Jerry, I'm not sure why you're offended.

Let's recap:

I gave my exact equipment and OS in the very first post.

However, you kept asking for the Serial Number. And even after you got it, you gave the link to the wrong drivers.

And, on top of that, you wrote "finally!" like it's me who's slowing down the resolution (talk about sarcasm).

All my trouble started after I followed some official Toshiba troubleshooting steps that broke my computer.

Thank you very much.

I'm not going to need your help anymore. I'll now reblast my computer, I'm sure that will resolve my problems. Have a nice day!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Yes, Jean, let a bystander recap!  One, you did NOT give the correct Model Number in your first post.  Two, you did NOT give the full info on which OS you were using in your first post.  Yes, you did give the bitness at 32.  Shame, shame on Jerry for missing that! Three, Jerry NEVER asked you for a Serial Number; he asked for a Part Number--you later volunteered the serial number which, in fact, we discourage people from posting on this Forum.

Jerry tried to tell you the reason why you couldn't find any drivers, etc. because this is the site for U.S. computers (and yours is NOT a U.S. model which you did NOT bother to tell us) and he gave you the link to where your drivers could be found.

I think Jerry hung in with you quite a bit longer than I would have. And BTW, we are all volunteer unpaid helpers here.  We are NOT employees of Toshiba. Just trying to help fellow computer users.

Good Luck with solving your problem.  A change in attitude would probably help.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Yes, you did give the bitness at 32.  Shame, shame on Jerry for missing that!

You're absolutiey right, CB. And I apologize for that part.

-Jerry
jeancallisti

It's weird, I feel like I'm in a parallel universe where everybody reads different posts.

> One, you did NOT give the correct Model Number in your first post

Is "Toshiba Satellite L450D 119" not the exact model type?

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?serv...

> Two, you did NOT give the full info on which OS you were using in your first post

Is "Windows 7 Home Edition 32 bits" not the exact OS? (I concede I didn't say if it was "Basic" or "Premium")

> he asked for a Part Number--you later volunteered the serial number

I gave the serial number with the part number! Sorry for volunteering more than was asked to me, and for not knowing that the serial number is confidential -- That's typically Toshiba bureaucratic stuff that not everybody would know about.

> A change in attitude would probably help.

If you re-read, I started being sarcastic after Jerry wrote "Finally!". And, to be honest, I wasn't even being sarcastic, I was just joking when I wrote "If you don't mind I'll download the 32 bist drivers". That's why I got really offended when Jerry started raising the tone.

> BTW, we are all volunteer unpaid helpers here.  We are NOT employees of Toshiba. Just trying to help fellow computer users.

That's the bit I sincerely want to apologize about. I thought you were Toshiba employees. So, please accept my apologies. I was baffled that you wouldn't know the specs of your own computers. And I'm very intolerant with all that callcenter crap ("I can't help you until you give me some totally unrelated information"), having worked in a technical support callcenter myself.

To be honest it makes me really mad at Toshiba : Even when one goes to their official forums, it turns out one is not being helped by Toshiba, but by ... volunteers.
 So, in the end, Toshiba didn't pay a cent for resolution, and everybody got upset. Well played, Toshiba, well played.

To finish in a clean manner: I resolved the issue by using the restoration CD and reinstalling everything. It required me backing up all my data on an external hard drive, as the recovery CD erases everything on all partitions.

Thanks guys, despite all the arguing, I really appreciate your help. I was angry not finding those stupid drivers. I pity the fool who'll be in the same situation as me in the future, and will read this thread, to find that no solution was found eventually. :smileysad:

Have a great day!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Jean, I understand your frustration.  I know I would feel very perplexed had the same thing happened to me after taking some action that was supposed to solve my problems but resulted in causing even more problems. I'm sorry things got out of hand early on and caused the animosity that developed. Jerry and I both are "advanced" in age (he is in his upper 70's and I'm in my mid 80's) and certainly aren't out looking for controversy at this stage of our life.

Jerry, if you've ever noticed his post count, has been around here for a long time and helped an awful lot of people.  In fact, if he weren't here, this Forum would not be nearly as helpful to folks.  Neither I nor all the other helpers on here combined  has the computer knowledge that he possesses. So you had the best we had to offer that tried to help with your problem.

I hope my conciliation efforts are perceived by you to be as sincere as they are.  PEACE!  :smileyhappy:

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The whole thing started when I didn't figure out what 11/9 meant - and kept asking. (I thought it might be a date.) I also missed the 32-bit part. So it's mostly my fault.

Now that things are fixed, let's bury the hatchet.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Amen!

C.B.