buckmasterm

Webcam (built in) does not function Service will not run Satellite A505D-S6008 PSAU6U-00F003

[ Edited ]

Webcam (built in) does not function and has not for over a year.  Any thoughts on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Toshiba Satellite A505D-S6008 PSAU6U-00F003

OS is Windows7 (64bit) home premium

I have tried installing and reinstalling, removing and reinstalling  Utility TC3004970 Version=V1.1.1.4 the TOSHIBA Web Camera Application. The Toshiba download states it is both driver and utility however no driver seems to install or show up in device manager.  There does not seem to be a true standalone driver (seems odd for hardware devices).  Attempts to start the camera fails.  Attempts to start face recognition fails indicating some dependant operation is preventing it from running (the camera is not working).  Webcam does not show up in Device Manager even when show hidden devices is activated.  Standard windows Programs/Devices - Add Device never completes and never finds the built in camera.  Using Device Manager Add Legacy devices where you can search and then if needed select from lists also fails to find or list a webcam. No cameras, imaging devices appear.

I have viewed the other chain covering this problem on a different model and can not use the download stated as it does not cover my model.  The instructions and process however is the path I tried first and as stated above, I have tried a few other things that did not work either.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter

Re: Webcam (built in) does not function Service will not run Satellite A505D-S6008 PSAU6U-00F003

Because the webcam isn't listed in the Device Manager, it sounds like that a hardware failure. To be sure, you could try a recovery.

Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found in your user's guide. To begin the procedure, boot the laptop while holding '0' (zero).

- Peter
buckmasterm

Re: Webcam (built in) does not function Service will not run Satellite A505D-S6008 PSAU6U-00F003

I appreciate the thought but it is not an option.  I would not consider turning back the clock in a far out hope I might be restored only to have to reinstall and reconfigure my engineering, tax (years worth) and graphics software.  I, like you am sure it is registry problem and is why it doesn't show up in device manager.  I have reviewed my old hive export files and have not found a key to duplicate by editing in.  Mostly I don't understand why the software won't install properly. I just uninstalls then reinstalls with errors.  I have thought about it more and I am convinced the problem is McAfee AntiVirus.  I recall the camera worked for the better part of a year before I put AV on it.  It was never being use on the web for a long time so I didn't install it. When I did, I purchased McAfee only to find that they have to install it (and Yogi) and they do it in a remote session.  They removed my applet that runs as a toolbar along the left side of the screen and is where you turn the camera on/off.  I say it go and a few other things that was part of the original software bundle but I never used nor would I (I tend to uninstall that stuff myself just hadn't yet).  Since I didn't use the camera I didn't notice it could not be started.  Now I want all my hardware working if possible and that is when I noticed it not working.  I am due to renew my AV subscription so I think it may be time to tell them to get it back or I move on to a new provider.

What is your opinion?  I always get a logiteh usb device.

mike

Peter

AV programs can cause weird side-effects sometimes, so it is possible.

You may also want to try reinstalling TVAP.

Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP) for Windows 7/Vista (64)(v1.2.27_64; 10-20-2009; 44.67M)

Keep in mind that if the webcam itself is broken somehow, you would have the same symptoms, so it's hard to know for sure.

- Peter