Aurilious

WAN Miniport (SSTP) has a driver problem

Laptop model: Satellite P505-S8980 

I'm getting an error with Windows 7 troubleshooter "WAN Miniport (SSTP) has a driver problem", going to the device manager and loking at the device status, it shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

The Windows troubleshooter directs me to this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Marvell%...

But the Marvell site doesn't have any drivers to download. I sent them an inquiry through their customer support (haven't heard back yet), but somehow I don't think they are the answer. 

Do I need this driver? What is it used for? Can I uninstall it? How can I fix it, where can I download the driver from?

Thanks. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: WAN Miniport (SSTP) has a driver problem

Satellite P505-S8980 

Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

..the Marvell site 

Seems like Windows/Microsoft may be confused. The LAN driver on your model's site is for an Atheros chip. Try installing this.

Atheros LAN Driver for Windows XP/7 (32/64)

-Jerry
Aurilious

My machine has 4 'Network adapters' listed in the device manager. 

1. Atheros AR8132 is OK

2. Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter is OK

3. Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN is OK

4. WAN Miniport (SSTP) shows 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I reinstalled the Atheros and nothing changed with the WAN Miniport (SSTP).  

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry about misunderstanding you. Sometimes I read too fast.

Seems like that driver should be on board. Right-click on the device, select Uninstall, and then restart Windows. 

If that doesn't work, see the method used in this post.

If still, no joy...

Are you having any problems with the networking you do? When does the error message occur?

-Jerry
Aurilious

I'm not sure if this driver is related to other issues I'm having, but it is the only issuue found by windows troubleshooter.

Current issues are:
1. Sonos music system can't maintain a constant connection to the toshiba laptop when trying to play music from the laptop to the Sonos wirelessly.
2. The machine will lock up and require a hard reboot every 2 days or so. I've checked the system event viewer and nothing eludes to what is causing the lock up. I've dealt with toshiba support over the phone and as far as I got was to disable most all applications/processes during startup. The machine can sit for a day or two without even using it and can come back to find it frozen.

I'm running through troubleshooting steps now. And this WAN Miniport driver is one issue I haven't been able to fix yet. I tried right clicking on it to uninstall, restart, and go back to the device manager to find it still there with the error.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Best to locate a situation or sequence that reproduces a problem. Otherwise, we can't make tests.

-Jerry