keving87
Accepted Solution

USB ports not working on Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132

Last night I shut my computer down and when I turned it back on today, both of the USB ports on my Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132 laptop weren't working. I checked the device manager and two have yellow triangles with ! in it. I also saw somebody mention installing a chipset thing and I tried that but it didn't work. What should I do now?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: USB ports not working on Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132

Satellite C655-S5132 

Try this.

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

Click Scan for hardware changes on the Actions menu to reinstall them.

-Jerry
keving87

that worked. thanks a lot!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome. Happy to help.

-Jerry
ponderer

I have a C655-S5052 and my USB ports quit working, too, but when I uninstall everything under USB controllers and then scan for hardware changes, they still don't work.   I've tried usb devices that work in our other computers and can't make them work here.

vic7767

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5048 that does not recognize any device plugged into either of the two USB ports located on the left side of the laptop.  I've used device manager to remove all USB components, reboot the PC, device manager displays all USB devices again but nothing works.

piperamuck

Yea this happened to mine too and this fix did not work. Just got this unit back from 2 weeks at factory to repair power problems and now both USBs don't work. Can you say LEMON. Customer support said to send it back in, or just use the DVD to save files . Are you kidding me? You just had it for 2 weeks. Now they want to do a System restore to Factory Defaults. That means loosing all files and my Windows Office. I regret buying this!!

jscotty78

I had a similar problem, but just slightly different.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5052 running Windows 7. I have 2 USB ports on the left side. Viewing the Device Manager, they are both working and running fine. In fact, my optical mouse runs fine when plugged into either one. The problem is that both of my iPods are not being detected by the computer. It just all of a sudden happened. They were detected/charging the night before and now nothing. I can't charge, sync, anything. I've been told by a friend that b/c the ports are wiggly that its a hardware issue and I may have a bad connection. Is this something that I can have fixed easily or does it require a new motherboard?

Yes, I have done everything possible. Updated drivers, chipset, BIOS...everything that is out there on the WWW.

I know it's not my iPods b/c they will charge when placed in a docking station. Like I mentioned, the odd thing is that the mouse works fine, but no other device does. Please help and thanks!

kchinz

I'm having the same USB issues. I purchased my laptop back in Dec 2010 and in Feb 2011 they stopped working. I took it in for repair and it was fixed free since it was still in warrenty. I was told that the motherboard was replaced which fixed the issue. Now it's only a year later (now out of warrenty) and they just stopped working again! I'm told it's going to cost me roughly $350 to fix! I think that is rediculous! Sadly, It seems this is a known issue. I've tried doing everything suggested in this thread and they are still not working. Any other option ideas on how to fix it? Or is this yet again another motherboard issue? 

Umammy

Thank you so much. Found this link this evening whilst desperately searching for help when my usb ports just stopped working. I am not very good with computers and was so thrilled that I could follow your instructions and do it myself :smileyhappy:

U

barbatsea

I purchased the C655 in the spring of '11 from Radio Shack in St. Thomas USVI. We are on a sailboat and my other laptop died after 5 years of hard use. Within six months the USB ports began to have intermittent problems. No matter what item was plugged in, at some point we'd hear the "DO-do" indicating that something had become unlugged and the device would stop working. We use this laptop for our navigation software and use a USB port to plug in the GPS. It is in a dry location and has never been doused in salt water. Since we were sailing in the Caribbean, there was no recourse or aid. We returned to the USVI within the warrantee period and found out that even though they sell the units here in the US for United Sates - Virgin Islands, they don't provide service here. I had to pack up and send the laptop to a friend, have Toshiba send her special packaging for warranty work and have her repackage it and send it to them, of course reversing the process once it was "repaired". Six months later, again down islands, the USB ports began to do their "DO-do" thing. A fellow sailor said she had the same problems and that the USB ports are connected to the motherboard. Having a now out of warrantee laptop repaired costs at least $265. I know this isn't the top of the line laptop, but I expect the parts in it to last more than six months. This seems to be a known issue with customer service. This seems to be a known issue with consumers who will never buy another Toshiba. Why can't we get any help or satisfaction with this issue? I'm disgusted. 

kevynck

it didnt work for me... still ports not recognising anything at all.

sneakytoaster

SOLUTION

I have dealt with this problem with both my toshiba satellite laptop and my moms and I share your frustration. It took me six hours of trying everything on this board and many others before I found something that works. Shut down your computer. When you press the power button to turn it back on hold down the F8 key until a black screen comes up with options. At the bottom of the list will be an option 'disable device driver signature enforcement'. click on that and the computer will start up as normal. Then plug in your device and see if this works. Let me know if you have questions.

glower47283

Re: SOLUTION

"At the bottom of the list will be an option 'disable device driver signature enforcement'. click on that and the computer will start up as normal. Then plug in your device and see if this works. Let me know if you have questions."

Thanks for the suggestion. Always nice to see a new possibility. :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, I tried it but it did nothing to solve my usb port problem. But hopefully it can help someone else.

LolleyBunch

I recently started having problems with my USB ports and was a bit shocked to see so many others with the same problem.  I have a Satellite A505-s6980 with two USB ports on the right side.  Initially, one quit working but the second would work as long as I would hold the printer cord or camera cord into it just right.  Now the second one doesn't work no matter what I do.  The ports don't look loose so I'm wondering what other things to do to fix it.  When I look in the device manager, there are a lot of items under the USB controllers and there are a lot of USB Root Hubs.  Is this normal and should I uninstall all of the items?  Just curious if anyone else has had this type of problem with the ports, too.

skiddrow

The F8 solution worked for me!!   thanks so much for posting.   Good luck everyone

trokon

Thanks. Your solution works for me!

HEHope

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

HansDuck

Thank you so much! I tried the f8 method and it worked PERFECTLY! Thank you so much for posting here on the forums!