Robin12

USB Ports not working - Satellite C655-S5049

The USB Ports arer not working on my laptop - Satellite C655-S5049. They were working fine last night, now they are not recognized. It is not a problem with the devices since they work with other computers. Both USB ports don't recognize anything plugged in. Any suggestions?

I've updated every available service pack that was outstanding.

Please note I'm not technie savy...so, if you could "dumb down" any answers, it is appreciated.

Thanks!

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: USB Ports not working - Satellite C655-S5049

Here's your model's downloads, specs, user guide, etc, page

Satellite C655-S5049

If you've just done a bunch of Windows Updates, it could be difficult to find the one that might have caused your problem.  But, the simpliest thing to try right now is to reinstall the 'chipset utility driver'. This is the central chipset on the motherboard of your computer, and is generally the one that controls the USB ports.

Download this file to your desktop, double click on it, let it do its installation thing, you may have to reboot after:

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility

Let us know what happens and good luck!

Mike

Robin12

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Any other thoughts?

Super Advisor
miker643

Oh well, it was worth a try. Click on 'Start' and then type in   devmgmt.msc    and left click on that file.  This is  'Device Manager' and shows the status, and allows some configuration, of the hardware drivers in your system. Look at the bottom of the list and you should see 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'. Left click on the little right pointing arrow beside that and tell us what you see.  Are there any red X marks, or error messages there?

Robin12

No error messages or X's. Everything looks find. Although, like for my controller, it shows 8 entries.

Leeburton18

I am having the same issue, usb ports are dead without power, and device manager reads multiple hubs and ports