Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

Toshiba mini nb250 - n250

i bought my toshiba mini nb250 and it comes with windows 7 starter.. i wanted to make it double OS 1 windows 7(default) and windows xp.. i wonder.. i install windows xp using" flash drive",, where can i find the drivers?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Toshiba mini nb250 - n250

[ Edited ]

You should think about upgrading to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate editions, and using the XP mode for those old XP applications you just can't live without.

You can save $20-$30 dollars by using Windows Anytime Upgrades - Starter to Home Premium, then Home Premium to Professional. Or you can buy the full upgrade edition for $199.

Windows Anytime Upgrade

Windows XP Mode

Good Luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

my netbook is only 1gb of ram.. it can't handle 2 os running, using virtual pc, vmware, virtual box, so im tinking of booting two os.. because i wanted to install oracle9i, so two 1 windows 7 starter(default) and windows xp(for oracle) 

where can i find drivers for my netbook? so i can install my windows xp..

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

my netbook is only 1gb of ram.. it can't handle 2 os running, using virtual pc, vmware, virtual box, so im tinking of booting two os because i wanted to install oracle9i, so two 1 windows 7 starter(default) and windows xp(for oracle) 

where can i find drivers for my netbook? so i can install my windows xp

Super Advisor
miker643

mini notebook NB255-N250

Perhaps you mean you have the NB255-N250.  I understand your predicament, I never stopped to consider that, sorry!

But, Toshiba does not supply a full set of XP drivers for your system.  However, you can use this method to find the actual hardware identifier numbers, and then the actual maker and specifics for each piece of hardware in your system.  Then go to the hardware manufacturer's website, and/or surf the web, to try to find the XP drivers you need, that Windows XP itself can't find.

It's not that easy, or slick, but it may accomplish your goal.

Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

i found a link for drivers.. does toshiba mini  nb250-n250 is the same with toshiba mini nb255? is it the same drivers?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Not sure Rusty.  But, there is NO model NB250-N250 on the Toshiba USA site.  What country is your model originally from? And, what's your product number, like PLL2PU-00901L?  You can find this on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your netbook.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

i got my netbook from america from my grand parents.. i'm from philippines.. they bought it at best buy..

i hope you could help find the drivers for my netbook so i can dual boot with win xp for Oracle :smileysad: 

Super Advisor
miker643

Rusty, if you want people to try to help you, you need to read ALL the instructions carefully. Look on the bottom of your netbook, there will be a Toshiba label there, on that label will be something like:

Mini notebook NB250-N250

Product number:

PLL2PU-00901L

Or something similar to that. We need that notebook model number, AND that product number.  Then, hopefully, we can find your XP drivers.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

sorry:smileysad:

Toshiba nb255-n250

Product Number: PLL2PU-00901L

i hope you could help me :smileysad:

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Cheer up Rusty, it's not that bad. :smileyhappy:

So, here's the deal. As I mentioned before, the link I posted above to the USA site for your model's actual downloads, etc, does not have a full set of XP drivers.  However, Toshiba European site does have XP drivers for the European model of your net book, the NB250 - PLL2PE. So go to this link and it will give the 3 page list of all your XP drivers.

Toshiba NB250-PLL2PE

Happy now? :smileywink:

Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

wow.. thank you so much:smileyhappy: now i can dual boot my netbook with Windows Xp.. yehey:smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

but should i download everything?

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

can i install any pack of win xp? pack1,2,3?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Rusty, I mean you no offence.  But, you do not sound very technically sophisticated, and I honestly feel that you will be making a lot of trouble for yourself by going ahead with this ill advised dual boot.

First, if you haven't already done so, you should make a set of Toshiba Recovery disks, with the Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator, the instructions for this are on page 56 of your user guide.  Because, there is a good chance you are going to wipe out the Toshiba recovery partition, during the re-partitioning of your hard drive, in order to do the dual boot. The instructions for recovering your Toshiba netbook to its out-of-the-box condition from the recovery partition begin on page 47 of your user guide. To recover from the recovery disks, see page 59 of your user guide.

Then backup all your own user files, favorites, etc.

Then, in your current Windows 7 setup, go into Device Manager, to make sure whether you have an Atheros or Realtek Wireless WiFi card. Download all the XP drivers/utilities from the European site to your Windows 7 partition. Extract the  .exe  files from all the zip files.  Copy all the  .exe   files you have extracted to (a) CD/DVDs so that you know exactly what each one is for.

Then, see here for the basic procedures to have a Windows 7 and XP dualboot, you want to use Method 2, when Windows 7 is installed first.

The order of your XP driver installation will be very important.  But, I would install the Storage Manager (these are the SATA drivers mentioned in the above instructions) from Intel first, then the Chipset Utility, then the Display Driver, then the Realtek Sound driver, then the Network Device Registry Setting Tool, then the Realtek LAN driver, then correct WiFi driver you found in the paragraph above (and if you have an Atheros WiFi card then install Client Manager from Atheros), then the Bluetooth Stack, then the Touchpad Driver, then the Webcam driver, then the Realtek Card Reader driver, then the Registry Patch, then Toshiba Common Module, then the Assist utility from Toshiba, then the rest of the Toshiba utilities.

Are you beginning to get the idea of how complicated this is Rusty?  Think long and hard before you go ahead with this.  Be very careful to create your Toshiba Recovery disks and with the backup of your own files, and to print your recovery instructions out before you begin this.

Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

now i'm scared :smileysad: i'm thinking of i'll try to do it on my desktop computer or try to install oracle 9i on windows 7 starter(toshiba netbook)

Super Advisor
miker643

I don't think Oracle 9i will work on any version of Windows 7 Rusty.  From what I have briefly read, you need at least Oracle 10XE, or better 11.2 to run on windows 7.  I'm not sure how Windows 7 starter would affect that.

http://oracle.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/oracle-db-installs-l/is-oracle-compatable-wi...

I would say that you far better off using a desktop, perhaps that is a bit older, with a stand alone version of Windows XP, to run your Oracle 9i on, if that is the only Oracle version you have available.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

i guess i can't put oracle 9i on my netbook. yup i only got oracle 9i because i got a guide of how to install oracle 9i. but if i dual boot with xp that will be fine right? i'm going to back up the recovery system of my net book.

i have another question:

1. can i backup my recovery system from a micro sd card and use sd card adaptor for the card reader of my netbook, and not on a flash drive?

2. if i back up my recovery system from sd card/flash drive can i burn it on a cd/dvd or transfer the files to another computer so i can use the sd card/flashdrive for another purpose? thanks:smileyhappy:

Super Advisor
miker643

Short answer is no.

You can run the reocvery utility from the recovery partition on your hard drive, or, if you wipe out the recovery partition on your hard drive, you can run the Toshiba recovery utility from the recovery disks you should create before you try this.

Something you should understand though Rusty, is that both these recovery methods, from the hard drive, or from the disks, will return your netbook hard drive to its original condition.  That is, both methods will wipe out your XP partition on your netbook, if you create one.

So, again, unless it extremely important to you to be running Oracle on your netbook, I would strongly advise you to put XP as a stand alone OS on your desktop, and run Oracle 9i there.

Good luck with whatever method you choose Rusty.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
rustymonzon

hmm.. using the recovery media creater? is only for flash drive and can't be on sd card? 

if i try to peer to peer connection to my pc for the recovery is it possible? so don't have to buy flash drive.