Gillian9

Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-229 webcam driver fail - TOTALLY STUCK!!!!

Hi,

I have the above lap top and it has Windows XP Business.  The web cam when it comes on, has a message saying 'webcam driver open fail'. It suggest restarting cam or computer but that makes no difference. It has been like this for a long time but I never had a need to use a webcam. Now my sister is due her baby any minute I am desperate to get it working!

I have googled and googled, it seems to be a common problem with Toshiba laptops. There are quite a few suggestions out there but not found anything that works for me yet. 

I have tried:

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_driver_details.jsp?service=EU&selCategory...

but it downloads at a winzip file. when I open it, it just shows all its properties and does not 'run' or 'install'. Not sure what to do.

I also found:

http://driverscollection.com/_4332384606072086b279cc834c4/Download-Toshiba-Equium-A300-Chicony-Webca...

but nothing happens when I click to download it.

You can tell I am a novice at all this but tend to get there in the end.  I am totally stuck on this one!!

I also found:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/autoDetect.do?service=UK&ACTION=PROCESS_DETECT...

but the wee timer just burls round and nothing happens.

So frustrated!

Any help, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Gillian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-229 webcam driver fail - TOTALLY STUCK!!!!

Satellite Pro A300-229 (PSAG9E-01M001EN)

Gillian, this camera software from the Canadian site for your part number family (PSAG9C in Canada) should be correct.

Chicony Web Camera Application for Windows Vista 32bit, 1.7.211.0813L, 5/28/2009

Chicony-Camera-6.3.251.626-1.7.211.0813L.zip

This tells how to extract the files.

Compress and uncompress files (zip files)

After you unzip the file, you'll find a Setup.exe to run. To execute that file in Windows Explorer, you should double-click on it.

Reinstalling that driver/application may or may not fix the problem.

-Jerry
Gillian9

Thanks so much for replying Jerry. I tried what you suggested but no joy. I am getting a message saying

'Webcam is either disabled or has failed. Please check you webcam settings'

Tried to phone Toshiba support today but they couldn't help as said I was out of warranty.  :smileysad:

I may just have to buy a webcam but seems a shame.

Gillian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), Gillian. Do you have Imaging devices in the list?

If so expand it, double-click on the Chicony device, and tell us what Device status has.

-Jerry
Gillian9

Opened the device manager, it does not have imaging devices on the list....

thanks for reply!

Gillian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That almost always indicates a hardware malfunction.

Best way to find out is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. But that means starting over from scratch.

I would add a camera.

-Jerry
Gillian9

Hi there, yes I was thinking of just buying one.

I just found this:

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=233417&#233417

thought it may be worth a try but I don't understand his insturctions.

What are your thoughts?

Thank  you so much for your time, I am most grateful,

Gillian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't see anything there that I expect would help you.

Can't hurt to reset the computer. Sometimes missing devices reappear. With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for 30 seconds. Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry