alfun

Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5305 - Drivers & Updates

What is the best way to update my laptop Toshiba software and drivers?  Through Windows Update, Toshiba website (http://support.toshiba.com/drivers), or Toshiba Service Station?

Recently there were 3 updates listed in Toshiba Service Station and I just updated them.  It said to do these before upgrading to Windows 8.1.  Toshiba eco Utility, Toshiba Desktop Assist, and Toshiba Function Key.

Windows Update shows 2 updates:

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - WLAN - Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11N PCI-E NIC

Published: 10/8/2013

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics

Published: 7/9/2013

For the Wireless LAN update, the Toshiba website shows the driver version number and I have the latest one.  But if I filter it by Windows 8.1 there is a new driver version, I have Windows 8.  Do I need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to get this new driver?  The driver that is listed on Windows Update doesn't show driver version but it has a newer date than the one listed on the Toshiba website.

For the Graphics Adapter, do I get the one listed on the Toshiba website or the one from Windows Update?  Or do I go to AMD's website and get it through there?  I know for custom built desktop computers you should get the graphics driver through AMD or Nvidia if you have a dedicated video card and its not built into the mainboard, but I'm not sure about laptops with built in video graphics.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5305 - Drivers & Updates

1. Unless you are having some kind of problem, it is always best NOT to update any driver that is doing its    job for you.

2. If you do update any driver for a Toshiba laptop, do it ONLY from the download website you referenced. Do NOT use Toshiba driver updates from Windows Update or the device manufacturer.

3. You said you are using Windows 8.  Why did you download and install updates for Windows 8.1?  You do NOT need W8.1 driver updates unless you are upgrading from W8 to W8.1.

It's a wonder you haven't had driver trouble yet with installing unneeded drivers and  drivers not applicable to your machine and OS..

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite C855D-S5305

Downloads here

I recommend that you do upgrade to Windows 8.1. Microsoft's support will be focused there in the future. But there is no hurry. Might as well let others find the bugs.

When you do upgrade, this a a rare case where you need to follow Toshiba's advice to update drivers. But as CB says never accept drivers from Microsoft (Windows Update). Otherwise, carefully follow the instructions here.

How to Update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

-Jerry
alfun

cbwilsha wrote:

1. Unless you are having some kind of problem, it is always best NOT to update any driver that is doing its    job for you.

2. If you do update any driver for a Toshiba laptop, do it ONLY from the download website you referenced. Do NOT use Toshiba driver updates from Windows Update or the device manufacturer.

3. You said you are using Windows 8.  Why did you download and install updates for Windows 8.1?  You do NOT need W8.1 driver updates unless you are upgrading from W8 to W8.1.

It's a wonder you haven't had driver trouble yet with installing unneeded drivers and  drivers not applicable to your machine and OS..

1.  I thought it was always best to upate to the latest drivers, especially the graphics drivers?  This is what I have read that is recommended from people that play games.

2.  Even Toshiba Service Station is not recommended?  It was pre-installed on my laptop.

3.  I downloaded and installed updates because Toshiba Service Station recommended that I do them if I was planning to update to Windows 8.1 and I am in the future.

According to Toshiba Service Station, the 3 updates I did are needed if I'm going to update to Windows 8.1.  I haven't installed any drivers that are not applicable to my machine and OS, why do you think this?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

1.  I gave you my opinion based on my experience. I don't use my computer to play games so I can't speak for those folks.

2.  Toshiba Service Station downloads come from the Toshiba download site I referenced.

3.  If you do upgrade to Windows 8.1, follow the Toshiba Upgrade instructions given to you by Jerry.

Oh! BTW, you're welcome!

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
alfun

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the help guys.

The link Jerry posted about updating to Windows 8.1 doesn't work anymore.  Here is another link that I used when updating to Windows 8.1.  How to Update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

I have some problems after updating to Windows 8.1 and doing some updates from Toshiba Service Station now.  After updating to Windows 8.1 I ran Toshiba Service Station and did 5 updates - Toshiba PC Health Monitor, TOSHIBA System Driver, TOSHIBA VIDEO PLAYER, AMD Display Driver, and Realtek Wireless LAN Driver.

Before I was able to Right-Click on the desktop and open the AMD graphics drivers options page to change vsync settings and other related graphics settings but now I can't.  How do I get it back?  I think it was called AMD Catalyst Software (ccc.exe).

Before in my Power Plan Options there was an option to Dim Display, you could set it to dim the monitor at 1,2,3 minutes, and etc but now that option is gone.  How do I get it back?  This was on the options page where you can set the Turn off the display, Put the computer to sleep, and Adjust plan brightness options.

"My Computer" icon on my desktop got changed to "This PC" and also File Explorer looks a little bit different now.  Did the update to Windows 8.1 change this?  Before I was able to see my data useage for the WiFi by opening the Charms menu and going to Settings then Right-Clicking on my SSID and ticking the option to turn it on, but now Right-Clicking doesn't do anything.  Did Windows 8.1 change this?  I was also able to hover my mouse over all the SSID's that the wireless found and seeing the type of security (like WEP, WPA, or WPA2) and type of wireless it was (like 802.11g or 802.11n) but now it doesn't display this information.  Did Windows 8.1 change this?

After the updates there is a new AMD, CIMTEMP, and Windows.old directory created in C:\, are these 3 new folders safe to delete?