happymainemom

Toshiba Satellite A505-S6033: Need to reinstall drivers--where and how to get them

My toshiba satellite a505-s6033 was hit with a virus and I have to reinstall (not recover) the windows 7 64bit operating system.  After this, I assume I need to reinstall all the drivers to restore the laptop.  Unfortunately, I do not have my backup cd.  I do not know if reinstalling the OS and the drivers will restore the laptop to factory settings or simply get the computer up and running, but without the unnessesary store add-ons.  

I do not know where to go to find a driver download list.  I have been on the toshiba site and seen many driver downloads for my laptop, but I don't know what is actually for my computer or not--or what it's missing.  What I would love to have:  A list that says, "Here are all the drivers you need for your model computer...and here's what to do with them."  Maybe someone can direct me to a link that is helpful? 

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Toshiba Satellite A505-S6033: Need to reinstall drivers--where and how to get them

Satellite A505-S6033  

I have to reinstall (not recover) the windows 7 64bit operating system. 

Why, Lisa? It means reinstalling all of your drivers and utilities. A big hassle! And sometimes things go haywire in the process. There are easier ways to remove preinstalled applications and to upgrade Windows.

Best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 60 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A500 Series User’s Guide

Your drivers are here. Bookmark that page.

-Jerry
happymainemom

Re: Toshiba Satellite A505-S6033: Need to reinstall drivers--where and how to get them

:-(  I understand.  Unfortunately, the virus SOOO attacked the OS that I can't even get that far.  I have tried, but the computer briefly flashes the Toshiba logo screen, then a very quickly flashed message, "End Recovery Mode," then says, "windows is loading files," and "starting windows," then does nothing....which is basically the same thing that it does when I start is normally. 

I have taken it to my "computer guy" and they told me what needed to happen.  They suggested that I could do it if I had the driver cds or I could simply download them.....they were the ones that told me the OS is completely gone and would have to be reinstalled.  :-(

I can, however, get into the InsydeH20 Setup Utility by (very quickly!) pressing F2 before the "End RecoveryMode" message pops up -- I'm not sure what I can do there, but I will look.

Lisa

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have tried, but..

So you're saying that you can't burn recovery discs?

If you have them and still can't recover, then either they are bad or you have hardware troubles.

In those cases, it's best to obtain new ones from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
happymainemom

No, I can't create disks.  I can do nothing except get to the setup utility.  Unless, there is a way to do something from that screen...I'm stuck. 

I will call my computer guy and see what he will do. 

Oh, and thank you for the driver links....is it just every one on those 6 pages? 

Thanks for being so helpful.

Lisa

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I will call my computer guy and see what he will do. 

I would order the recovery discs no matter what your computer guy says.

Not only must all the drivers and utilities be reinstalled, but Toshiba's preinstalled Windows is also preactivated. Remind him of that.

Ask him about $$.

-Jerry