pete_teale

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F drive no longer working

After rebooting my laptop (Satellite P750), my DVD drive is no longer working, and in the Device Manager comes up with "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

How do I fix this, and is there any other info you need?

Thanks for any help,

Pete

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F drive no longer working

Try this Microsoft Fix It

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media

Good luck.

Mike

pete_teale

Hi Mike,

Tried that earlier with no success - it didn't recognise the drive.  I suspect it might have something to do with an update from Microsoft Update (I'm sure it updated something before I rebooted), though I see nothing in the update list that looks likely.

pete_teale

The drive shows up in the Device Manager (with a warning), but in Windows Explorer it isn't listed at all, nor with any applications..

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...I suspect it might have something to do with an update from Microsoft Update (I'm sure it updated something before I rebooted)....

First, unplug/disconnect from the Internet. Then, go into System Restore and use a restore point that was just before the Windows Update that you think may have messed up your DVD player.

Check if your DVD drive is now OK in Device Manager, and then if it is working properly.

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about using only the Toshiba supplied hardware drivers.That's why I recommend disabling automatic Windows Updates and only doing manual updates. Click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', next under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK. Then, only check for manual updates, look at all the available updates carefully and never allow Windows Update to change any of your hardware drivers.

Now, reconnect/plug back in to the Internet.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Tried that earlier with no success - it didn't recognise the drive.

If you don't get this resolved, Pete, try that again and attach a picture of the error message.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
pinoyswap

Hi.

You may try writing CD/DVD registry values back by running this software.

This is not a website, it is a direct download link.

tinyurl.com/toshibadvd

Click run on the file download warning.

This is also said to delete upper and/or lower filters left behind by uninstalling music or video playing software.

Copy and paste the link to your browser if the hyperlink does not work.

FanMan

The registry patch worked like a champ!  Thanks pinoyswap

Tapwater21

Hello Everybody,

I'm having exactly the same issue - unfortunately the direct download link is no longer working. Could anybody please be so kind as to re-post it or to give me hint which patch it is that writes back the registry value.

Best thing was the Toshiba diagnosis tool - didn't find any issue with the drive. But then again, didn't find the drive, too ;-)

-tap

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The registry fix (if it's the problem) is here.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

-Jerry
gt79

Hi, I'm having the same problem with the TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-U633J drive on a windows 8 laptop.

Does anyone know if the registry fix is the same in windows 8 (can't find an equivalent solution on the microsoft website)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If it's the same problem, it's the same fix.

Follow the instructions in Let me fix it myself for Windows Vista and 7 in the Microsoft article.

Though the user interface is quite different, these three versions of Windows are nearly the same.

Windows NT 6.0  = Windows Vista

Windows NT 6.1  = Windows 7

Windows NT 6.2  = Windows 8

-Jerry
RichCarver

Thanks for posting your question.  I was having the exact same problem.  I read through the possible solutions and it turns out that iTunes was the culprit.  I uninstalled iTunes and rebooted.  The cd/dvd works as it did before last week when I installed iTunes.  Not sure why this messes with the cd/dvd drive.  I can live without iTunes, but I need the funtionality of the cd/dvd drive.

A big THANK YOU, to the other postings, as I wouldn't have thought that iTunes would be the one causing all the problems!

Lemniscate

I would like to second RichCarver's solution.  Itunes was also causing problems with my dvd drive and as soon is it was uninstalled it started working again (which is odd because Itunes did not use to interfere with anything else).

idomagic

iTunes is the problem but instead of that being buried, I started a new post. http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/iTunes-corrupts-tsstcorp-cddvdw-ts-l633f/td-p/437...

iTunes corrupts tsstcorp corp cddvdw ts-l633f error 9

RiEdro

Hi,

I read all the messages yesterday because I could not use my DVD/CD drive either because of a corrupted registry.  The best suggestion was the one where the community was informed to uninstall iTunes. I do not own Toshiba but have a Lenovo. I searched online and hit this site...Good news for those who still have trouble with their drive.

I uninstalled iTunes (after I did a restore point that did not work, nor did downloading a updated driver) and rebooted my laptop.  The drive appeared and I made sure that my CD's played and my DVD's played.  Then I reinstalled iTunes and because I have a password protect on my removable storage devices (My DVD/CD Rom is considered here), I was prompted to type in my password allowing iTunes to use my DVD/CD drive.  After doing so, my DVD/CD drive still appeared on My Computers.

This is what worked for me, and I am grateful not to have to take my laptop in for a "check up" that would have cost me more than a brand new drive.

Rick

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I do not own Toshiba but have a Lenovo. I searched online and hit this site

Nice that you found help here, Rick. Thanks for letting us know.

-Jerry