CyanWinters
Accepted Solution

TOSHIBA Canvio External HDD USB 3.0 Win 7 drivers?

(Not 100% sure this is the right board)

I recently purchased a TOSHIBA Canvio 3.0 1TB USB 3.0 portable hard drive.

The drive works perfectly on OSX and Windows 7 when using a USB 2.0 port. However, when I switch it over to the USB 3.0 port on my Windows 7 machine the computer does not recognize it or interface with it.

I installed the software on the drive via USB 2.0 but I need this drive to work with USB 3.0, as I paid a premium for that feature and the drive is of no use to me if it won't work with USB 3.0.

Is there anything driver-wise that Toshiba is offering, or any other suggestions? I have seen this problem come up for other users so I expect it's a problem with the drives.

Thanks

gpna

Re: TOSHIBA Canvio External HDD USB 3.0 Win 7 drivers?

We just purchased a Canvio 1TB USB 3.0 drive and have found the same failure on various Dell laptops with and without USB 3.0 support.  I wish I had a solution for you.  We tried the latest Dell firmware and driver updates as well as any Windows 7 x64 updates.  Unfortunately Toshiba has been of no help either.  I do hope a solution is found soon; although for business reasons I am returning this drive and looking into another manufacturer.

RoyalGentoo

I am a PC technician and a client had a PC that would not find or load the drivers for this USB 3.0 hard drive. I had to reload the PC's operating system anyways, so I did so thinking that this would also fix this drive recognition problem. This drive was recognized as a USB device, but not as a hard drive in the Windows 7 Device Manager, and it was not showing up in Disk Management. As it happens, this USB 3.0 hard drive DID work on an old laptop I had in the house (USB 2.0 ports only.)

I read the Quick Reference Guide and found the fine print comment that in some machines a Y cable was needed for the hard drive to get enough power. It turn out that some PCs limit the amount of power that can be drawn from a USB port, and that this can prevent the USB 3.0 hard drive from working properly to the point that they do not load properly on the PC. A "Y" cable allows the USB 3.0 hard drive to pull power from two ports and get enough power to work properly. You can test this out by plugging the USB 3.0 hard drive into a powered USB hub. (The type that need an AC transformer to work.) If the hard drive is then recognized, then it got extra power from the USB hub to work from. Of course, unless you are using a USB 3.0 hub, this still only lets the USB 3.0 hard drive work at USB 2.0 speeds.

I am disappointed that Toshiba did not include the "Y" cable to begin with. Imagine all of the hard feelings and bad press they have accumulated by not supplying a cable that was an extra few cents  more than the one they already supplied. I will have to tell my client to return this USB 3.0 hard drive or to buy a "Y" cable himself to get it to work on this PC. He will probably return the hard drive. Too bad, Toshiba.

Topinio

I just bought 2 Toshiba Canvio 3 TB USB 3.0 drives for external backup and have this problem.  They are desktop (3.5") drives and have external mains power, so don't see why they would neet a Y adapter to draw power from 2 USB ports.  They just don't work on USB 3.0 and work fine on USB 2.0 ports ... at stupidly slow speeds compared to the USB 3.0 speer that was advertised.