gwfyarm
Accepted Solution

Satellite L755-S5216 BIOS 2.0 Update leads to "VERIFY ERROR"

The Toshiba Service Station application alerted me to the availability of the BIOS 2.0 update.  I followed the instructions, downloaded it, closed all other applications and launched the update.  A DOS screen appeared, then a screen showing the current and new BIOS versions, then an error dialog showing only the words "VERIFY ERROR".

I downloaded the update directly from the Toshiba web site, ran it, and received the exact same error.  The update process terminates after the error.

If I wish to install the BIOS update, how do I get around this problem?

gwfyarm

Re: Satellite L755-S5216 BIOS 2.0 Update leads to "VERIFY ERROR"

After receiving the above error, I started creating a System Restore set of DVDs.  I started the process of writing the first DVD, and left to do something else.  When I returned, the laptop had gone into sleep mode (slowly blinking orange LED on front of case).

I could not wake the laptop from sleep mode.  I could not get the laptop to power off by holding the power button down.  After disconnecting the power cord and removing the battery, the laptop finally was off.

Now, I cannot get the laptop to boot.  The left-most three LEDs are all white, and the 4th LED (disk drive) blinks about twice per second. The screen is black. The WiFi LED is off.

I have the nasty feeling that my attempt to install the new BIOS corrupted the BIOS, and thus the VERIFY ERROR.

Is there anything I can do, or is my only recourse to take it back to where I purchased it and see if they can fix it?

kpt1073

Hi,

I have a Satellite L755-S5271 that is two weeks old. I had a pop up from the "Toshiba Service Station", which came installed on the computer, informing me that a BIOS upgrade was available and should be applied. When I applied the update via the Toshiba supplied application which was downloaded by the Toshiba Service Station that came with the computer, I received the "VERIFY ERROR" message described previously and now the laptop no longer boots.

I called the tech support number and they troubleshot the issue to a mother board problem, which requires the computer to be shipped to a repair center. They also informed me that this is NOT a warranty repair! I have asked for escalation of the issue, but there will be no further resolution until Monday.

Regard,

Kelly

gwfyarm

I talked to Toshiba tech support, who attempted to get the machine to boot by resetting the BIOS to no avail.  At that point they recommended that I either exchange it for a new machine (given that it was less than one week old) or take it to a service center near me (Best Buy / Geek Squad in my case).

After conferring with the folks at Best Buy, I exchanged the laptop for a new one.  Unfortunately, they were out of stock on the model I had purchased, so I had to buy a slightly more expensive model... but the staff were very helpful, and after spending the rest of the day installing Windows updates, etc. and re-transferring my data to the new machine, I am back up and running.  The good news is that the new model does NOT have a BIOS update suggested... so I don't have to risk that again.

LucioT

I had the same problem as the previous posts.  I tried to do the BIOS update and got the "VERIFY ERROR" mentioned in this post. After that the laptop would not boot.  I called up Toshiba and they were very helpful.  I explained what happened and they said it sounded like a hardware problem.  They are shipping me a box which should arrive in 3-5 days so I can send them my laptop.  So far I am pleased with their customer service.  I will update this post when I get my laptop back.

wileyoldcoot

I have the same situation. I'm waiting for the shipping box. I've been told that I can remove the hard disk drive before shipping the laptop back to Toshiba. I'll update when this horror story is finished. In the meantime I would not recommend anyone try this BIOS flash if you have this particular model laptop. 

rwolfe1

I also had the same issue with a brand new l755-S5214.  Since it was only 3 days old, I returned it to Best Buy, but it was difficult finding another same laptop to exchange it for.  Of course after prepping my replaced machine, I again received the "recommended updates" from the Toshiba Service Manager which I have ignored.  Still hoping to get some resolution from Toshiba (still don't know if we have faulty BIOS flash memory in these machines), I have placed 4 calls to tech support and been informed that "they don't always recommend doing BIOS updates".  The last tech support call generated a new reference number and I received a call from Toshiba Customer Relations.  Basically they told me that I could always return my warranty machine back for repair, but really did not understand that there is some "root problem" here.  The update is obviously still being pushed out, and customer relations stated that I had no other recourse to get an answer, and again that I could always send my machine back for repair.

VERY frustrating all said and done.  Until Toshiba addresses the problem here, it is costing them a lot of unnecessary warranty expense.  Don't know what else to do, and I certainly don't know how I could ever trust another BIOS update.

Bob

MCasasol

This happen to me yesterday, I leave it at the official support center, they told me it could take up to a month for it to be fixed!

I don’t know why the post say it is Solved... it is a HUGE problem, there is a big problem with this update and should be removed immediately

I will never trust Toshiba on a BIOS upgrade again!

magician369

Ihave just updated the bios to my laptob l755-16l and had the same problem so my laptob is abreak right now whyth do they keep this update in their site avilable for downloading .what a company are you!
aedaza

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with my new Toshiba L755 S5214. I installed the update that the Toshiba Center app recommended (BIOS driver update). Well, the update failed showing an error. When I rebooted the laptop, it stays with a black screen and the laptop keeps making a "breathing" sound.

Simply said; Toshiba´s recommended update has damaged my new laptop. FAIL

Please, fix my laptop!!!

aedaza

Agree with you. This is a HUGE problem!! Laptops failling everywhere thanks to a bad (and recommended) Toshiba BIOS update.

Please, this problem has not been solved. Uncheck this Post as solved!

aborunda

I contacted Toshiba through twitter at @toshibahelpus and they think there are only three cases in the forums...I pointed the eight different users on this thread plus other ppl in other forums. We need to make sure they see it is a larger problem and fix it.  Now I will have to wait 2-3 weeks to get my L755 back bcs of this.  It is one week old!

danielmcgaw

I had this same problem happen to me twice now. I purchased a  L755-S5216 on 8/02/11 and did the update on the 10th. I followed the steps and then restarted the computer, then it woudnt turn back on. Luckily i was still in the 14days from the store and they exachanged it. So it is now 1/18/12 and I am given an update by toshiba, and do the update. Once again my computer won't turn on. 

I call toshiba and they attempted to help me but said i had to mail it in. Now I have to pay $25 to have it shipped to them and wait 2 weeks to get it back. Now this wouldnt be such a big deal If I didn't use my computer to make a living, like most of us do nowadays. Not to mention all the data I will lose because they are swiping my hard drive.

I love you toshiba, but this update is a problem and you need to do something about it. 

Dan

Tabbed.co

what_happened

Satellite L750 BIOS 2.9 update happened to me this evening. Toshiba Service Station innocently invited me to install this update. I've updated the BIOS on Toshiba laptops many times before with no problem. And then this same "VERIFY ERROR" pops up as everyone else here has described. I'm thinking, "Well, it must not have worked. But I'll shut down and restart just to make sure." And that's the last time I saw anything on my laptop's screen. I get nothing on the screen now when I try to boot up, and the exact same "heavy breathing" of the fan happens just like everyone else has described. I called Toshiba support and a "tech" answered quickly, but all she was able to do was have me try several combinations of battery pulls and restart attempts, all to no avail. She told me to leave the battery out overnight and put it back in tomorrow and try to boot up again. I'm not holding my breath. HELLO TOSHIBA!!! IS ANYONE THERE??? This is obviously a very consistent behavior. Has some rogue employee unleashed a virus specificially designed to kill our computers??? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE???

huntace

Thank goodness I haven't gotten rid of my 10 year old DELL Inspiron which, by the way, has never failed me once.  Dear what_happened,

I can tell you what's not going to happen.  Your computer is not going to be magically fixed once you replace your battery.  I know, because I took the battery out of mine then fell asleep on the couch.  Next day, SAME PROBLEM as before!!!  WOW!!  It is almost laughable that "Toshiba Support" had someone to even suggest that to be a possible solution.  And, OMG... all you have to do is type in Toshiba BIOS in any search engine to see PAGES and PAGES of people having this SAME ISSUE.  HELLLOOOOO!!!!!!

huntace

And another thing, clicking on "solution" to find no solution is not a solution!!

what_happened

I know it's hard to believe, but leaving the battery out overnight, did NOT, I repeat, did NOT accomplish anything. Frankly I'm surprised I wasn't also told to throw salt over my shoulder and cross my fingers at the same time. Fortunately, I still have other working computers at home, but for crying out loud, I do NOT want to have to send this one off for weeks on end for repairs. You'd think as many times as this apparently happens, Toshiba would publish some sort of download and instructions for recovering from this. That is, provided some of the things I've found on the web are correct and an exotic combination of "windows crisis floppy disk" creation and secret combinations of key presses can fix this. I've been told elsewhere that the only hope is to crack open the back and start monkeying with the hardware. ugh.

what_happened

[ Edited ]

OK, after much searching on the Web and trying all manner of creating recovery CDs and flash drives, removing the hard drive and battery and holding down various key combinations while powering up, I have thrown in the towel and sent for my shipping box from Toshiba support. Thankfully I'm still under warranty.

Two recommendations:

1.) Do NOT attempt to upgrade to BIOS version 2.9 on a Satellite L750.

2.) If you ignore recommendation number 1, then just call Toshiba for your shipping box.

Rentoo

Just happened to me too. I'm on hold with toshiba now. From your posts i think i'm out of luck and pissed off

Tfviolin

Well.... This is just wonderful! I just did the same thing that all of you have mentioned.  The same thing happened to me too! After getting the "Verify Error" Message, I decided to restart my computer, and then nothing, I repeat, NOTHING happened other than it sounding like its breathing.  I have a black screen, can't get it to boot up, and had to slide the battery out to get it to even shut off.  After turning it back on... I still get NOTHING!!  Looks like I'm going to be on the phone with Toshiba in the morning.  Hopefully, I will get some great costumer service.  I've only had my computer for 6 months. What makes me upset is that I have a feeling I'm about to lose all of my saved files, family pics, work files, etc....  Unless maybe Best Buy can somehow transfer them (but I'm doubting it)    I'll keep you posted and let you know what happens.  WHY are they still sending out this stupid BIOS update when so many people have had the same problem with it????  (DO they not read the message boards/forums?)