njm529

Satellite C655-S5512 CD Disk Drive Not Recognized

When I tried to play a regular audio CD (purchased, not burned), the driver ran, but did not playback the CD.  I went into My Computer and noticed that there isn't even a D: Disk Drive option under My Computer.  The computer only shows the C: Disk Drive under the Hard Disk Drive Folder. 

I've already tried Microsoft Fix-It, Windows 7 Troubleshooting suggestions, and other Toshiba Forum suggestions, but nothing has worked.  One of the fixes I tried finally suggested that I contact the device manufacturer. The computer says that the problem is in the TSSTCORP CDDVDW sn-208ab driver so it knows there is a problem, but the computer doesn't seem to be able to run any of the fixes to remedy the problem.

The computer was purchased only a few months ago, and I believe this is the first time I've attempted to use the driver.

The problem seems to be that the driver isn't recognized and isn't even an option in My Computer. 

Are there any other remedies or solutions that I can try on my own? And if not, is Toshiba able to help me with this?  As I stated, the computer is fairly new. 

Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Satellite C655-S5512 CD Disk Drive Not Recognized

Satellite C655-S5512 Specifications

Satellite C655-S5512 Downloads

Let's just try a proper system reset and see if this helps bring your CD-DVD drive back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, then check and see if DVD-CD drive is being recognized by the BIOS, press 'F10' to save and exit, boot into Windows, and test your DVD-CD drive again.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If the drive doesn't reappear after the reset, do this.

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand DVD/CD-ROM drives. Can you see the drive there? If so, double-click it and tell us what Device status has.

-Jerry
kcvb

I have same problem. Before doing the fix with taking out battery, do I need to run full backup or will everything else stay as it. IE all email in outlook, everything on c drive.

thx

cree1515

you prob have to delete the upper and lower filters for the dvd or cd drive...  here is a site  for directions... http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm ...this should work for you

varleson

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

If the drive doesn't reappear after the reset, do this.

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand DVD/CD-ROM drives. Can you see the drive there? If so, double-click it and tell us what Device status has.