sttjones
Accepted Solution

SD card reader for L305D-S5938 not working

I have searched the web and the Toshiba forums as well as the download page looking for a solution without success. I'm guessing I have a driver problem but I can't find the SD card on the Device Manager. I added a picture of what I see.

I've tried two different brands, PNY and PQ1 and neither is recognized in any way.

I have Windows Vista for the operating system. The card reader worked when the laptop was new, I'm the original owner. The built-in reader stopped working a few months ago. 

I saw one post that recommended editing the registry and I'm not excited about doing that. I would like to uninstall the device but as I noted, I can't find it on the Device Manager page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: SD card reader for L305D-S5938 not working

Satellite L305D-S5938 

This looks like the driver, Steve.

Realtek Card Reader (32/64bit)

Did you look under Disk drives in Device Manager?

-Jerry
sttjones

Thank you for answering. Yes, the only disk drive is Hitachi HTS543232L9SA00 ATA Device. No other disk drives are present.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What happens when you install this driver?

Realtek Card Reader (32/64bit)

-Jerry
sttjones

Thanks Jerry, yes that drive works!

Before I installed it I made a restore checkpoint. That way, if it didn't work I could back it out. That is what I had also done with another driver that I had found last week. That driver did not work so I backed it out with a system restore.

Also, for anyone else who is looking through this, be sure to try different sizes and brands of SD cards. One card may work while another does not. You want to eliminate card incompatibility.

Thank you for your help. Have a great day,

Steve

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome, Steve. Glad it worked.

Before I installed it I made a restore checkpoint. That way, if it didn't work I could back it out. That is what I had also done with another driver that I had found last week.

Good precaution. In the case of drivers though, it's not necessary. Windows can reverse a driver change.

Restore a driver to its previous version

-Jerry