cmacjones

SD card not recognized: E drive not visible in Device Manager

Hi there,

My Satellite is suddenly not recognizing my SD card in the built-in reader. I've looked through the forums and found others with the same problem, but they're always able to see the E drive in Device Manager and so the solutions start from that point. On my machine, however, the E drive doesn't even appear in Device Manager (nor does it appear in My Computer, with or without a card inserted into the drive).

I tried doing a System Restore to a point before the last time I was able to use the drive, but that didn't fix the problem so I've "undone" that System Restore.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem or what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: SD card not recognized: E drive not visible in Device Manager

[ Edited ]

Whenever you post a problem here you should always post your full model name/number, like Satellite A350-ST3601, and your model's part number, like PSAL6U-01N015. Also, you should give us your OS version, like Windows 7 64bit.

With regard to your problem, see my thread here. So, go into Device Manager immediately upon logging in and see if your card reader is visible then. If not, use this method to see if it shows as a Non-Present Device.

How to Remove Old Device Drivers from Vista & Windows 7

Mike 

cmacjones

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip about posting the specs. I have a Toshiba Satellite A660 (it's customized so I believe that's the full model number), part number PSAW0U-09G018, and I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. 

On your advice I checked in Device Manager right after start up/logging in, and I could not see the card reader under drives or anywhere else. I balked a bit at the link you posted to find out if it shows as a non-present device since I'm apprehensive about messing up the registry while editing it. If you have a moment, can you tell me what I would then do if it did show up as a non-present device if I followed those steps? If I knew I could fix it from there, I would brave the first steps :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your reply!

Super Advisor
miker643

You would be able to completely uninstall and delete the old drivers for the SD memory card reader, and then hopefully get the system to recognize it again.

If you follow Method 1 in the article link I gave you before, you do not have to edit the registry. I would not recommend editing the registry, if you have never done so before.

This model is essentially the same as yours and you can safely use all the drivers, utilities and software for this model.

Satellite A660-BT2N22 PSAW0U-01U001

If you can get as far as deleting the old drivers, then try reloading this one.

JMicron Card Reader for Windows 7 (32bit/64bit)

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike